A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Observer135

Posting Awards

U-turn Prohibited

by: Observer135 on

Here is a question I have had in the back of my mind for years and never found a solid answer to.

I'm hoping the knowledged officer on here can clear it up for me...

The question is, how far before and after a No U TURN sign a driver is not permitted to make this turn?

Thanks in advance

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

that is a good question... I got done for a no-u-turn years ago,

cop pointed out the sign and I had a problem seeing it.

so if on a road there is a no u-turn how far down that road would you need to go, b4 you can u-turn

I had gone down a fair way and it was safe where I was doing the u-turn

and BTW it was a trap because the where parked in an unmarked on a drive at the top of the road, waiting

just for the "vast" number of law breakers doing illegal uturns <sigh>

Observer135 wrote:Here is a question I have had in the back of my mind for years and never found a solid answer to.

I'm hoping the knowledged officer on here can clear it up for me...

The question is, how far before and after a No U TURN sign a driver is not permitted to make this turn?

Thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Observer135

Posting Awards

argyll wrote:Normally no U-turn signs are posted by specific intersections aren't they ?

No, not always...

For example, there is a no u turn sign in the middle of the road here

https://goo.gl/maps/n8nVZE3aWxz

There is another one about 20 meters down the road right before the stop sign.

The second one obviously implies that there is no U turn at the intersection where the stop sign is, but what about the first one?

But my question is universal, no matter where it is posted, how far you must you be passed it before it is legal to make a u turn?

Cheers

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

This one says no U-turn in front of the bridge.

I don't believe the HTA specifies a distance.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Observer135

Posting Awards

argyll wrote:I don't believe the HTA specifies a distance.

Looking at HTA it specifies where U-turns are not allowed and no sign need be posted, on a curve, bridge etc.

So I'm guessing if a sign is posted and one disobeys it, it falls under disobey sign

What section of HTA is that? I seem to recall there is a general section that referred to when issuing a ticket for failure to obey posted sign.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I'm also not aware of specific distance for which the sign would remain valid for. In the above Streetview example, I'd generally interpret it to be valid until the next intersection, where another sign would be required for the prohibition to remain.

Observer135 wrote:
argyll wrote:I don't believe the HTA specifies a distance.

Looking at HTA it specifies where U-turns are not allowed and no sign need be posted, on a curve, bridge etc.

So I'm guessing if a sign is posted and one disobeys it, it falls under disobey sign

What section of HTA is that? I seem to recall there is a general section that referred to when issuing a ticket for failure to obey posted sign.

Section 182.

Regulations, signs and markings

182. (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations requiring or providing for the erection of signs and the placing of markings on any highway or any type or class thereof, and prescribing the types of the signs and markings and the location on the highway of each type of sign and marking and prohibiting the use or erection of any sign or type of sign that is not prescribed. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 182 (1); 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 32.

Signs to be obeyed

(2) Every driver or operator of a vehicle or street car shall obey the instructions or directions indicated on any sign so erected. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 182 (2).

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

dat exactly, was pretty much my scenario

Observer135 wrote:
argyll wrote:Normally no U-turn signs are posted by specific intersections aren't they ?

No, not always...

For example, there is a no u turn sign in the middle of the road here

https://goo.gl/maps/n8nVZE3aWxz

There is another one about 20 meters down the road right before the stop sign.

The second one obviously implies that there is no U turn at the intersection where the stop sign is, but what about the first one?

But my question is universal, no matter where it is posted, how far you must you be passed it before it is legal to make a u turn?

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

It's a good question.

The first thought is what's the minimum distance between a no u-turn sign according to the regulations. If there was (there isn't as far as I know), i'd interpret that to be the answer.

My second thought was exactly what Stanton mentioned, which was wherever the next intersection starts.

Post a Reply