Suspended Licence - Escalating Sanctions: Hta Offence

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

momof3

Suspended Licence - Escalating Sanctions: Hta Offence

Unread post by momof3 »

My son got his first ticket - he's 20 - for following too close ( 4 points ) When the officer came to serve him with his ticket she told him that he would not receive any demerit points (witness was present) My son paid the ticket promptly, because what else would he do? He figured no points - $110.00 fine - pay it and move on. Now get a letter in the mail that his licence is being suspended for 30 days. Is there any way to ask for the ticket to be re-opened or appeal?

Unread post by 287 »

I take it your son held a G1 or G2 license at the time of the offense. As such he is only permitted to acquire 4 points before having his license suspended for 30 days. No further charges needed.

When I read about the escalating sanctions, there was a note from which I understood that once a suspension is put in place, demerits are erased; perhaps the officer was thinking of this...its a stretch I know.

I have never hear of a case being reopened for not being aware of all the ramifications of a guilty plea, as great as it might be for some.