A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

fd

No Side Mirror = Possible Ticket?

by: fd on

this is gonna sound retarded, but i don't want to give anyone any reason to pull me over. My side mirror got knocked off by a snowplow. Masking tape held it up for a while, but eventually it started to get loose, so I removed it (delay in receiving the replacement, whole other story).

Covered up the hole with tape, to make sure no water gets into the door panel. Question is, can i get a ticket for not having a driver's side, side mirror? i drive a normal midsize car, and none of the windows are obstructed.

(on a side note, would anyone know if i'd get a ticket in NY ... same situation?)

thanks in advance!

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Snowplow? Where's snow already?

Not sure about the NY, but in Ontario...

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic712.html

Windows

to afford clear view

74. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) unless the windshield

and the windows on either side of the compartment containing the steering wheel are in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the front and side of the motor vehicle; and

(b) unless the rear window is in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (1).

Application of cl. (1) (b)

(2) Clause (1) (b) does not apply to a motor vehicle that is equipped with a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the motor vehicle and placed in such a position and maintained in such a condition as to afford the driver, otherwise than through the rear window, a clearly-reflected view of the roadway in the rear or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (2).

So, it is legal not to have the mirrors. That's why they expect you to visibly turn your head when checking blind spots on drive test.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

HTA OREG 611 SAFETY STANDARDS

(6) The condition and security of each prescribed mirror shall be inspected and,

(a) no prescribed mirror shall be missing;

(b) each mirror shall be securely mounted and maintain a set adjustment;

(c) no mirror shall be cracked, broken or have any significant reduction in reflecting surface owing to deterioration of the silvering; and

(d) in the case of a motor vehicle where there is no rear window, or the view through the rear window is restricted in such a way as not to afford a driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle, the outside rear view mirror or mirrors shall not be missing

Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Prescribed Mirrors Section 111

(11) An outside rearview mirror shall be installed on the drivers side of every passenger car and three-wheeled vehicle.

So yes, you do need the drivers side mirror and failing to have a mirror puts your vehicle in a position of not meeting safety requirements, which could be an "unsafe vehicle" offence, plate removal and towing of vehicle.

One of the cars I owned in college did not have a passenger side mirror, not illegal, but I just went to a scrap yard and bought a matching mirror for $50....1/4 of the cost of a new one from the dealership

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply