A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

xeon

Should I Report A Collision? What To Do Next After Collision

by: xeon on

Hi guys,

I am very new at this. I been back bumpered today on 401. My car is only a year old so it's scratched, dented a bit, and maybe something broken inside, I have no clue. From outside I can see paint scrabbled.

I was offered to do an estimate of the cost which I exchanged insurance information for and now I see that I have 24 hours to report that collision according to Toronto collision report center. This gives me no time really.

1- Who gives me a free estimate for something like this? my car manufacturer/dealer? random mechanic? It's a new car. Who can I trust with this?

2- Should I report this before 24 hours end and then offer a settlement without insurance involvement if other party wants it? to be fair to them, they might not want to go to insurance and pay me, so how can I cover my ass without reporting past 24 hours? can I take a promissory note from them stating they were at fault?

I am really in doubt if I can get an estimate this morning as my 24 hours is coming to an end around 1 p.m.

I really appreciate any early morning response.

Thanks

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

There is no time limit for reporting a collisions, however if you're going to report this you should do it as soon as possible. Don't use it as a bargaining tool with the other person.

You are not actually required to report it unless there is damage to public propery, injuries, or the damage to vehicles is over $1000.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Most auto body shops aren't open on weekends, but that's where you'd go to get an estimate. Examples: Howden Collision, Main Auto Body, Assured Automotive, etc. There are all kinds of collision repair shops in the GTA, if that's where you happen to live. Most of them are above-board but there are one or two that I'd recommend staying away from.

Otherwise, you have up to 7 days under the Insurance Act to report the collision, if you intend to make a claim for it. If the other driver is going to pay for it, then contacting your insurance company is not necessary. The police report aspect of it was covered by Simon Borys in his post above.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply