A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

TridentX2

Seized My Plates, In My Driveway.

by: TridentX2 on

We've had some history with the police in my town..

http://orilliapacket.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2158203

We have a steady police presence of 5 - 10 officers in the town at any given time.

Long story short I exercised my right to not talk to the police (I watch them beat the *EDIT* outta my brother and a good friend on saturday) and now they are out to get me. I had a officer pull in my driveway, a good 3 minutes after I was driving around and I had 3 other marked cars pull alongside my house.

He told me he needed to test the reliability of my vehicle and that I needed to show him proof of insurance/ownership. I explained to him that he had no right to demand such and that he should leave my property immediately unless he could provide me with a warrant or such. I told him I know of line-of-sight and you can't see my car unless your in my driveway therefor he had no proof that I was driving around anyways. He made up on the spot that I was "squeeling" my tires down the road. I saw the 5 cops sitting all around the village i'm not a idiot, I wouldn't and did not do that. I called him out on his lie and he told me "hes the officer and what he says happened, happened" Its not like he followed me home. He explained to me that I would be arrested and my car would be towed if I did not do exactly as he said. My father was standing there for the whole encounter.

I already went inside and put my jacket (which has my insurance and ownership in it because I was swapping cars later that day with my dad) in my kitchen, I explained to him that I could go inside and get my paperwork.. He told me to stay put and that it was OK.

He checks my tire-pressure and it was low apparently, I had a air compressor in my backseat and my wintertires sitting beside my car (I was supposed to get them installed in a few days).

He told me he wanted to see if there were any holes in the floorboard and I told him he wasn't going anywhere near the inside of my car without a warrant and I called my moms friend who is a corporate lawyer and she told me not to say another word to him, block him in if we could and she would be there in 5 minutes.

Unfortunatly I told him this, and he litterly ran back to his car.. Printed me off a ticket for the following.

- Failure to provide proof of insurance

- Failure to provide proof of ownership

- Unsafe Vehicle - low tire pressure was the only thing wrong

- Unnecessary noise

He removed my plates and drove off.

What method of recourse do I have? He told me later that day when me and another person approached him on the road (I had to miss work) that I should fight it and he doesn't care if I win. He said he gets bonus pay for it anyways.

I mean, what can I do? Wait until my court date on January 6th? I don't have much money, all the money I do have goes towards rent/food.. I can't afford to do much. They know this.

Any advice would be appreciated, again I have no idea what to do. I feel like i've done nothing wrong besides neglecting to keep my tire pumped fully. (may I add I couldn't even tell it was low by looking at it).

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

- police presence of 5-10 officers? Orillia is on contract, therefore the OPP must have a minimum amount of officers on each shift to satisfy the contract.

- indicate 4 tickets, but 2 paragraphs down you have a court date. There is no automatic court with tickets, so therefore you received summons for each offence

For summons, disclosure is sent to court, so go to your court and get disclosure, that should shed light on your questions.

Then maybe post your question(s) here.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

You might want a lawyer..............Sounds like there is more to this......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
TridentX2

No, I live in Oro-Medonte and we are serviced by the Barrie OPP. NOT Orillia.

I have no issues with the Orillia OPP.

Oro-Medonte has 9 officers on contract, and any given time there are at least 5 officers in this town, which consists of 7 streets. My unsafe vehicle ticket has a court date of January 6th posted on the ticket. I cannot afford a lawyer.. I am unemployed at the moment I was doing odd jobs in order to stay alive and this required a vechicle. I mean, what other option do I have.. Starve or go out and steal plates/a car so I can work.. I refuse to go on social assistance..

Assuming I got plates from a friend what would I be charged with? I know if there stolen you'll get possesion of stolen property under $5000.. I have a buddy with a old talon he doesn't use and he said I could throw the plates on my car. The stickers good 'till January. I ask this because I make $80 - 100 a day with my vehicle, if the tickets $110 then it would obviously make sense to take the risk..

I feel like I have no other options.

fortec_man

by: fortec_man on

things might go bad really quickly if they run your plates and see that they come back to another car.... if you feel like you were mistreated you should file a complaint, otherwise try and get yourself a paralegal

hwybear

Posting Awards

TridentX2 wrote:

Assuming I got plates from a friend what would I be charged with? I have a buddy with a old talon he doesn't use and he said I could throw the plates on my car. .

It would be "Use plates not authorized for vehicle". This is an arrestable offence....that penalty is "$100-$1000 and/or 30 days jail and licence suspension upto 6 mths.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
TridentX2

I did not even imply I did that.

I am disgusted by what happened.

Thanks HWYBear .. I'm just gonna take a loan out to get my car re-certified.. I brought it into the shop and they said there was nothing wrong with it..

*May I add, last night they filled a school bus full of ERT members and drove it down the streets hoping someone would mess with them. I mean, this is just plain dirty cop tactics..

*When I said 5-10 cops, there are SIX streets in our town, its a 1kmx1km space.. I mean, its unreasonable.

hwybear

Posting Awards

TridentX2 wrote:*When I said 5-10 cops, there are SIX streets in our town, its a 1kmx1km space.. I mean, its unreasonable.

I do not think it is unreasonable if someone is threatening the police. Each one of them want to go home to their families at the end of the shift.

CoolChick

by: CoolChick on

Get a claim of right issued and have a fee schedule ready. Any further harassment will mean you bill them for your time and inconvenience. The days of police harassment needs to end. Please feel free to contact me via pm for more information.

CoolChick

hwybear wrote:
TridentX2 wrote:*When I said 5-10 cops, there are SIX streets in our town, its a 1kmx1km space.. I mean, its unreasonable.

I do not think it is unreasonable if someone is threatening the police. Each one of them want to go home to their families at the end of the shift.

Well I think it is unreasonable... the police harass and threaten people all the time and Joe Public wants to go home to their families in one piece too. Police presence is now unacceptable and uneccessary in the extent it now exists.. people live in fear of police and that is not what police depts were created for. Police Depts are now businesses touting for cash and extracting it by fair means or foul. If you call with a genuine complaint they claim they are too busy to respond. Yet you can bet if you pull off your driveway with a light out they will be right there with a ticket. It`s madness.

fortec_man

by: fortec_man on

Well I think it is unreasonable... the police harass and threaten people all the time and Joe Public wants to go home to their families in one piece too. Police presence is now unacceptable and uneccessary in the extent it now exists.. people live in fear of police and that is not what police depts were created for. Police Depts are now businesses touting for cash and extracting it by fair means or foul. If you call with a genuine complaint they claim they are too busy to respond. Yet you can bet if you pull off your driveway with a light out they will be right there with a ticket. It`s madness.

i bet that opinion would change if you came home one day to find your house broken into

CoolChick

Well thats a laugh really ... I was about to rent out a house to a tenant and prior to the agreement I allowed the woman in to paint a room. She proceeded to tell me what she wanted done to my house to suit her needs. I called her back and told her there would be no way she will move in with those demands. She told me she would break into my house to get her cups that she drank her coffee from while painting. I told her she could wait till Friday when I would be there to give them to her. She went to police telling them I was 'keeping' her cups...and guess what their response was :

da da.......

They told her to get a locksmith to get into my house ...yes believe it...it is true.... the cop admitted it, even to his Sgt, The Sgt asked what I wanted to do about it, the guilty cop asked me to realise he was retiring soon and didn't want any hassle from it.

So basically the cop told someone to break into my house !!!!!!

So your comment is a joke to me, I have not found cops worth a light in my experience.

Post a Reply