A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

jccool5000

by: jccool5000 on

I did some more research and found section 259(4) of the criminal code (which applies everywhere) says that anyone "disqualified" may not operate a motor vehicle. Section 259(5) says that the definition of disqualified: "a disqualification or any other form of legal restriction of the right or privilege to operate a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft impose, in the case of a motor vehicle, under the law of a province".

Does this render the article invalid? The article says "because Ontario parking lots arent considered roads, you can operate a vehicle in them without a driver's license, vehicle registration or insurance", so under the criminal code you would still need a licence to drive then?

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

Disqualified is different than simply not having a license. Whether the age thing would fall under that definition I doubt but that would be for a crown to argue and a judge to decide.

Personally I'd tell my kid just to wait.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Parking lots are private property and it's very unlikely that an owner would grant permission for someone under 16 to drive a motor vehicle on the lot. Too much of a liability issue.

If you decide to do it without permission, the Tresspass to Property Act could be used to either remove you from the property and or lay a charge.

Certain parts of the HTA actually do apply to private property, especially when it comes to collisions.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Some private property parking lots, like malls, usually have bylaws in place that make them "highways" for the purposes of the HTA.

So have fun on grandpa's back 40, but probably not wise to try it in a parking lot.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I would avoid doing this in a public parking lot or any place that is open to the public. There is a good chance that the car's insurance would not cover you since you are not a licensed driver. This means that if you got into an accident with another driver you or your parents would be on the hook for any damage or injury that occurred to the other person.

Post a Reply