A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

SpikedCola

Question About Dui's

by: SpikedCola on

Hey guys! I've always got strange questions bouncing around my head regarding the Ontario HTA, since I drive every day, and was lucky enough to stumble across your forum!

My question is about DUI's. Reading the MTO's website, I see things like:

Impaired driving, which means driving while your ability is affected by alcohol or drugs, is a crime under the Criminal Code of Canada.
Any drug that changes your mood, or the way you see and feel, will affect the way you drive. This is not only true for illegal drugs. There are prescription drugs and some over-the-counter drugs that can also impair your driving ability.

It's obvious to assume that being under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, and certain prescription/OTC medications, can lead to a DUI charge.

But what about tobacco? Technically, it's a drug (though legal and regulated).

I'm a non-smoker, but if I were to smoke a cigarette (maybe even while driving), it would impair me, probably enough to cause an accident (one of the many reasons why I dont smoke ;)). Has anyone ever been charged with a DUI for being intoxicated by tobacco?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Not to my knowledge. You'd have to either have some serious allergy to nicotine, or be suffering from nicotine poisoning (or something like that) to become incapacitated/impaired by tobacco smoke.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply