A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

cmcrawfo

Pulling Two Trailers

by: cmcrawfo on

I am trying to figure out if I can legally pull 2 trailers (a small camper and a 12ft boat) with my pick up truck (I would be under 23m and not over my GVWR, I have tow mirrors and can see both trailers) . I have found 2 (seemingly) conflicting references from mot.gov.on.ca. I will travelling on HWY 11/17 for 45km then on a FSR.

I found this reference under "Recreational Vehicles "

"Towing More Than One Vehicle

Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act.

The maximum length of any combination of vehicles is 23 m (75' 6")."

and this under "Pulling a Trailer Safely"

"It is against the law to tow more than one trailer behind your vehicle unless using a commercial vehicle. You cannot carry people in a house or boat trailer. "

any advise or clarification of this would be greatly appreciated.

cmcrawfo

by: cmcrawfo on

I found the answer. Turns out the local OPP detachment had the same question, and they recently received clarification from MTO.

Both quotes are correct and not conflicting , my pick up truck is considered a commercial vehicle (black plate) for the purpose of this regulation.

Hope this helps others.

Post a Reply