A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ryan-lucas

Procedures For Pulling Over A Car?

by: ryan-lucas on

are there any set procedures that an officer must use when pulling a vehicle over (intro's,reasons,answering questions asked by driver)? are they allowed to open the doors without permission of the driver to gain info on the vehicle? just a few things that happened to me that i found a little odd during a stop.thanks

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

There isn't a written script that they'll follow, every stop is different. There are general procedures and officer safety considerations that they should adhere to. That said, opening the door without first telling the driver is a bit odd...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Radar Identified wrote:There isn't a written script that they'll follow, every stop is different. There are general procedures and officer safety considerations that they should adhere to. That said, opening the door without first telling the driver is a bit odd...

Opening the door is not as odd as you think. With CMV's and larger pickups we check the manufacturer door plate for weight verification.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ponyboyt

by: ponyboyt on

hwybear wrote:
Radar Identified wrote:There isn't a written script that they'll follow, every stop is different. There are general procedures and officer safety considerations that they should adhere to. That said, opening the door without first telling the driver is a bit odd...

Opening the door is not as odd as you think. With CMV's and larger pickups we check the manufacturer door plate for weight verification.

think non-commercial passenger vehicle. Then it IS as odd as you think. Just some regular schmo in a regular schmo car. WHy would they open the door without saying anything?

This why i always hit the door lock remote when i get stopped... unfortunatly one of my back doors does not lock... unfotunate that 3 officers so far have set off my alarm with me in the car.....

Post a Reply