A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Benjamin Button

Re: New Car Impound Law

by: Benjamin Button on

iFly55 wrote:you can always go the freeman route
What do you mean? Who is this guy Freeman? :?

Hi Radar

Yes I know the government will seize anything it likes. I realise that, I was just wanting some facts about how they can take property from anyone without it being called theft like if we were to do same. Never mind though, its not something I care to continue with. It was just a question and I dont wish to be banned again for asking a question that is not allowed......forgive me

Benjamin Button

admin wrote:Its not a form of enslavement or anything. If you want access to the road you need a Licence! If you want to drive a car around you gotta get plates! Not a huge conspiracy here, its not the federal reserve lol!

And yes there should be a registration system for all cars/automobiles that will be driven on Canadian roads, because this is called having Laws and Regulations. We don't have a HTA for no reason! The purpose is to create a law driven society so people can't just get behind a 2 tonne car and start driving everywhere like mad men!

People will die, accidents will be daily place, drunk drivers will reign free, and you are having a problem with registering your vehicle with the MTO? Really?

Thank you for replying..although its a bit of a rant :o lol, Not quite following you on the 'enslavement' or 'conspiracy' parts but you have an opinion like the rest of us I guess and thats to be respected. I didnt say I was having any problems, I was asking a couple of questions. I personally don;t believe we need to ''create'' a law driven society as we already have laws and have had laws for a very long time. The proficiency test that one takes prior to 'licencing'' determines ones abilty to safely manoevre on the roads, its not the licensing that makes it safer its the testing.

And even with the current 'system' people die, accidents happen daily and drunk drivers do still take to the roads.... registration/licensing hasn't been able to stop that. And no I am not having any problem with registering any vehicle, I dont believe that I said I did.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Your personal beliefs do not matter here. Your idea of a proficiency test does not exist, you take a Drivers test or exam to learn how to drive a vehcile on Canadian Roads and under the OHTA!

Benjamin Button

Thats an interesting answer. I remember taking a test that assessed my competency on the roads, I am not sure what planet I must have been on at the time ;-)

I tend to base my personal beliefs on facts. Canadian licences can be utilised on roads the world over as can licences from other countries. Its a matter of jurisdiction at the time is it not? testing that takes place at the MOT is to determine one ability to be safe on the roads and based on that test it is determined that you are safe enough to hold a licence and the licensing ensues which brings you into the realm of the HTA. Feel free to correct me as to your understanding, thank you again

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Benjamin Button wrote:Yes I know the government will seize anything it likes. I realise that, I was just wanting some facts about how they can take property from anyone without it being called theft like if we were to do same

Simon Borys pretty much explained it. It's not theft because the government is taking it due to its use for an unlawful purpose. They can't just take it whenever they feel like it. They have to have some sort of statute, law, or whatever to back it up. In the case of the impoundment law, it is to "encourage compliance with the regulatory regime." Incidentally, the vehicle is returned its rightful owner. The only time something is permanently taken away is if a court so orders it. Police can temporarily seize stuff and retain it as evidence, or to comply with things like s. 172, but they can't just take it and keep it "just because."

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply