A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

sk8er938

Missed Court Date By Accident, Please Help

by: sk8er938 on

Hey everyone,

I have fought a few tickets (mine and my families and friends) and been succesful in getting tickets dropped with just asking for a disclosure. I had one last ticket to fight this month on the 2nd but i thought it was on the 14th. I really messed up but this season i have become so tied up with work, school, work soccer team and volunteering.I sent my disclosure request by fax a couple months ago with the court date set for the 14th. Anyways, i really want to win this last ticket i have from a year ago so my record can become clean asap. How do i go about brining this case back to court. I know there must be a way, please help me. By the way the tickets were speeding 64 in a 50 zone and failure to show insurance card.

thank you in advanced,

-Hector

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

You can file an appeal of the ticket and indicate the reason why you're doing so (i.e. missed the date). I don't know if that will be accepted as a reason to reopen the ticket, but I believe that's how you'd go about doing it. You can ask at the courthouse for the form to appeal.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

You'd need to file a request for the JP to strike your earlier conviction and reopen the matter. I believe you only have 15 days from the date of conviction to do so. And as Simon mentioned, you'll need to explain why you couldn't attend. Valid reasons are you were never served notice of circumstances beyond your control. The fact that you simply forgot probably means your request will be denied.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

sk8er938 wrote:ah yes thanks so much guys, but what does "I was never served notice of circumstances beyond my control" mean. Could you give me an example please.

Sorry, typo. Should have read never served notice OR circumstances beyond your control.

First means you were never notified of your trial and weren't aware of it (not the case).

Second would be something like you were in an accident or quite ill and unable to attend Court that day.

If you only have 30 days to reopen the matter hower, you're probably out of time.

Post a Reply