A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

altimavoyager

Lights Off While Driving...

by: altimavoyager on

So this was my first ticket :(

It was about 12:30 am. I was driving from a nearby Shoppers Drug Mart to home (5 min drive). For some reason, I forgot to turn on my lights.

I was driving within the speed limit, on the right lane (of a three lane street), when I was suddenly pulled over by an unmarked police vehicle (I'm guessing it was Peel Region Police, this happened in Mississauga).

The officer came to my vehicle from the passenger side, and asked me where I was coming from. Then told me that all my lights were off! I was like.. "I'm sorry, I must have forgotten", and I switched them on immediately. She asked me if my lights work, and I told her that they do and they are on right now. I was asked to produce my license, registration and insurance, and I duly obliged.

I was pretty confident that, since this is my very first "run-in" with the cops, they might go easy on me. I was once in the passenger seat of a friend's car which was pulled over for have 1 headlight not functioning, but he was let go because of his clean record. I understand that this is the officer's discretion. Coming back to my case, the officer came back to me and told me that it's going to be a fine, and she handed me a ticket and my documents. She said, "this is dangerous, this is how accidents happen. I'm writing you up for your rear lights because that's what I saw first. It's a fine... No points. Drive safe".

The ticket reads "Drive without proper rear light motor vehicle. HTA 62(1)". Set Fine is $85 and total payable is $110.

Where do I go from here? This is my first ticket. Which option should I chose on the back of the ticket? My coworkers insist that I chose "Option 2:Early Resolution-Meet with Prosecutor", though I've read online that option 3 (trial) is the best bet.

Totally confused here... :?

by: 12345 on

IMO option 3 would do nothing for you, you were driving with your lights off and that is that, there is no pleading not guilty.

If you really don't want to pay it you should go for option two and try to get it reduced, perhaps your clean record will help you a bit there.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

altimavoyager wrote:Where do I go from here? This is my first ticket. Which option should I chose on the back of the ticket? My coworkers insist that I chose "Option 2:Early Resolution-Meet with Prosecutor", though I've read online that option 3 (trial) is the best bet.

Totally confused here... :?

As of March 31st, the options on the back of tickets have changed. It used to be you needed to selection Option 3 to have a pre-trial meeting with the Crown and Option 2 was a guilty plea to the Court with an explanation. It now looks as if Option 2 isn't an automatic guilty plea, and allows you to meet with the Crown, which is what you want.

Post a Reply