A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

StupidHippie

Leo Identification

by: StupidHippie on

Hi all,

I cruised the forum for a while but couldn't find an answer to my question...sorry if I missed it.

Is an LEO obligated to identify him/herself if asked by the vehicle operator in an unticketed traffic stop? If not by name, by badge number or? Would this be viewed as some sort of threat or challenge to the LEO?

Thanks...Rob

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

I just perused the "Police Services Act" which governs the majority of police in Ontario with no mention of an answer for you.

Each service might have its own policy, I don't know.

Most uniformed members will have their badge and/or name on their uniform somewhere. Aside from that, it would be easier just to get the plate of the cruiser as you know the time and location.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
StupidHippie

by: StupidHippie on

Thanks for looking it up Hwybear...the effort is appreciated.

I phoned the station and if a ticket wasn't issued they said there was no way to tell who pulled me over....one would think there would be some record of the stop or computer query.

Hopefully the LEO in question was just having a bad day, but if I run into him again I'll be more prepared.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

I think that you can always ask the cop for the badge number, and they cannot deny you the information about that.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply