No Insurence

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

ponyboyt

No Insurence

Unread post by ponyboyt »

So a while back i sold my Grand Prix to a kid at work. He was making payments on it, and i let him park it at his place cause i bought anothe car and didnt have the room, he had lots of room. It was convenient. I didn't think i would have to tell him "don't drive it until it's legal" and didn't really think it was my problem. I had already gotten most of what i wanted for the car and he only owed a couple hundred bucks on it. I had called my insurence company and told them to pull the insurence at the end of that month, there was like 8 days left (i pay monthly). Seemed like a good idea at the time, payday was in a week, and since the ownership wasn't changed i just felt better keeping it insured "just in case".

Well he drove it.... and got stopped.

Tickets:

Improper plates

Improper sticker

No insurence

Improper Ownership (it was signed but not dated. That's my fault, i signed it and changed my mind and said i'd date it the day he finished paying for it. Ya it was a mistake)

The next day i went down to the police station and let them photo copy the insurence. I figure ya ok he was dumb to drive it and maybe he coulda screwed me but the kid is working hard and supporting his girlfriend. He honestly can't afford all this and i figure its a lesson learned. The police and the crown want nothing to do with me. They just won't "accept my insurence" saying he needs his own. Technicaly i see it as the car is still mine and i have insurence on it. How can he be charged for no insurence? He will lose his license (crown) and needs it to get to work every day... The crown did say they wanted a letter from my insurence company. I can get one but i don't know if i want my insurence company to know the story... im afraid they might jack me for risk factor or something.... I woulda thought the slip was good enough. And i have the renewal for the year that shows the date my grand prix stopped being insured.

OPS Copper

Unread post by OPS Copper »

He and you have a bill of sale showing the vehicle was sold...So legally it is his....You are like a bank in this case....

I am not sure your ins will cover a vehicle you sold to some one else...That is for the insurance company to decide....I can only speak from the HTA

Yeah it is a big fine and he is trying but he did decide to drive..No one forced him to drive....What if he killed one of your kids and had no insurance...Or maimed one and they required lifetime of care...Bet you would feel differently then...

Now having said that I have seen prosecutors making arrangements for things like this.....Such as payment plans etc...

OPS

ponyboyt

Unread post by ponyboyt »

its not the fines that worry. They want to cut a deal and take his license for 6 months or more. There was no bill of sale written at the time. I didnt give him one til he paid the car off.

mr888

Unread post by mr888 »

I had a very similar situation, I was driving my buddy's car which was still under his name, insurance etc, but I was going to buy it.. so i mentioned that to the cop when he asked why are you driving it, right away he started pondering how to F*CK me lol, wrote up like 10 little tickets and no insurance, even forced me into writing a statement that i bought the car ( silly me I was young ) too bad for him though his sneaky tactics were picked up in court and the case and all the tickets were dropped, can thank my lawyer for that. 8)

Return to “General Talk”