Insurance, Ownership, (and Rental Cars)

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Markus

Posting Awards

Insurance, Ownership, (and Rental Cars)

Unread post by Markus »

I have searched the forum but I can't find a definitive answer to the following:

1. Does the insurance card carried in a vehicle have to be original or is a photocopy okay?

2. Does the ownership/permit carried in a vehicle have to be original or is a photocopy okay?

I ask because I am currently borrowing a car from my sister and she has only photocopies of each in the car.

I frequently rent cars in Ontario. Sometimes there is an ownership and insurance card in the rental vehicle, often there is not. When I have mentioned this to the rental companies they say that the copy of the rental agreement is all that is needed to hand to a police officer. I'm somewhat suspicious of this. Can anyone confirm/deny what I'm being told by the rental companies? If the actual ownership and insurance cards are not in the car when they are supposed to be, how likely is it that a police officer would give me a ticket for failure to produce them (assuming firstly that I get pulled over at all and secondly that I am my usual polite/nice self with the officer and thirdly that I show the officer the rental agreement)?

screeech

Unread post by screeech »

While borrowing your sister's car, a photocopy of the ownership is good, however, the insurance card must be the origional, photocopy not allowed...I know of no exemptions for a rental car

Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

And the photocopy of the permit must be a "true copy" which means a copy of both sides of the permit.