A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

rooky

Home-built Motor Assisted Bicycle

by: rooky on

I'm looking to build a motor assisted bicycle and have contacted the MTO twice now with them not knowing. If i put a small motor on my bicycle would it be the same as one of these electric bikes that are legal in Ontario now? Can anyone help me out?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

From MTO website

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... html#power

An e-bike is a bike that:

- has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals;

- is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to travel on not more than three wheels;

- has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, a power output rating of 500W or less. (Note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32 km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.) and

- bears a permanently affixed label by the manufacturer stating in both official languages that the vehicle conforms to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle

- operator must be over 16yr old

- operator must wear a helmet

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
rooky

by: rooky on

so in other words, don't waste my time as it would be near impossible to get it registered.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Check out the contraption the guy who lives beside my work rides. I see him gently pedaling down the road (at about 50kph) as if no one would notice the giant engine doing all the work! LOL

Post a Reply