A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Mickey16

Hit And Run On My Parked Car

by: Mickey16 on

Yesterday, a neighbour knocked on my door and said they saw someone back into my car. I was parked on the street and someone backed out of their driveway and T-boned my back door. They took off and didn't leave a note. I spoke with the person who did it and they deny it. They showed me their vehicle and I could see the scratches and black paint marks where their bumper hit my car. They made a sorry excuse saying they ran into the corner of their own house. I have a witness who identified the vehicle, I saw the evidence. However I'm not sure if the damage is over $1000. I am going to get it assessed tomorrow.

My question, if the damage is $800 is it up to me to pay it? Or can I file a police report and get the guity party's insurance info (which my insurer says I need to wave my deductible). I know usually a police report can't be filed for under $1000 but since it's a hit and run this may be a different story.

If the damage is under $1000 and no police report can be made is it up to me to take the person to small claims court?

Thanks for the help.

viper1

by: viper1 on

Mickey16 wrote:Yesterday, a neighbour knocked on my door and said they saw someone back into my car. I was parked on the street and someone backed out of their driveway and T-boned my back door. They took off and didn't leave a note. I spoke with the person who did it and they deny it. They showed me their vehicle and I could see the scratches and black paint marks where their bumper hit my car. They made a sorry excuse saying they ran into the corner of their own house. I have a witness who identified the vehicle, I saw the evidence. However I'm not sure if the damage is over $1000. I am going to get it assessed tomorrow.

My question, if the damage is $800 is it up to me to pay it? Or can I file a police report and get the guity party's insurance info (which my insurer says I need to wave my deductible). I know usually a police report can't be filed for under $1000 but since it's a hit and run this may be a different story.

If the damage is under $1000 and no police report can be made is it up to me to take the person to small claims court?

Thanks for the help.

police report should be made.

Within 24 hours if you can as the deductible does not apply.After up to the company discretion about it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply