High Contrast Glasses At Night

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Squishy

High Contrast Glasses At Night

Unread post by Squishy »

On unlit streets, I sometimes drive at night wearing high-contrast glasses (you may know them as shooting glasses) to highlight lane markings, shadows, and, during a snowstorm, where the two tire tracks on the road are.

Are there any legal ramifications of doing this? The light transmittance of these amber glasses are around 75%, compared to sunglasses which I think are around 20%. There's s. 73 (2) of the HTA which prohibits any coloured coating on the windows, and I guess I'm violating the "spirit of the law" by wearing coloured glasses. I could get by with just my yellow fog lights in a snowstorm, but they don't seem to help with lane markings on wet roads, where the high-contrast lenses do.

BTW, MTO really needs to start putting more recessed Bott's dots on our highways, or at least switch to a more reflective lane marking paint.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by racer »

Squishy wrote:On unlit streets, I sometimes drive at night wearing high-contrast glasses (you may know them as shooting glasses) to highlight lane markings, shadows, and, during a snowstorm, where the two tire tracks on the road are.

Are there any legal ramifications of doing this? The light transmittance of these amber glasses are around 75%, compared to sunglasses which I think are around 20%. There's s. 73 (2) of the HTA which prohibits any coloured coating on the windows, and I guess I'm violating the "spirit of the law" by wearing coloured glasses. I could get by with just my yellow fog lights in a snowstorm, but they don't seem to help with lane markings on wet roads, where the high-contrast lenses do.

BTW, MTO really needs to start putting more recessed Bott's dots on our highways, or at least switch to a more reflective lane marking paint.

I think that the law was written to allow the police the view of the inside of your vehicle. Wearing shades should be fine...

Squishy

Unread post by Squishy »

That's another part of the same section. Section 73 (2) deals with the driver's view of the highway, while s. 73 (3) is the other half that deals with persons from the outside looking in. It specifies windows and windshields, so I'm legally in the clear as far as that section goes.

Maybe 'careless driving' if the officer doesn't like the glasses. How would I demonstrate in court that the glasses were safe?