A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

newdriver02

Help!: Novice Driver - B.a.c Above Zero

by: newdriver02 on

Hello, I had a beer and couple sips of soft wine at a bar,and after an hour or so i was on my way driving one of my friend home and thats when i got stopped, he seemed to be new and quite nervous. He came up and said he stopped me because i didnt have a front plate, i recently replaced my front pumper and been quite busy to put on the plate. and that he asked if i had anything to drink today and i said yes. i did the breathalyzed test and I blew an "ALERT".. i wasnt given a exact number..

he then gave me 2 ticket, one for fail to display two plates and another for Novice bac above zero, told me that it's not a big deal and just go pay it off. i also got my license suspended for 3 days

Should i just pay it off or fight it? would it affect my insurance or points?

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

bend wrote a great post about the specific consequences of a Novice Class Above Zero B.A.C. http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com ... [quote]S.7 (1)(b)(i) — Drive motor vehicle, fail to display two plates - $110

S.44.1 (3) — Novice driver — B.A.C. above zero - $110[/quote]You shouldn't just simply pay either tickets, it's in your best interest to retain legal counsel on this. Conviction on the B.A.C. ticket can make you un-insurable for the next five years upon conviction.

There are no points associated with both tickets: https://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/ ... 0339_e.htm but that's the least of your worries.

Insurance Companies can look up to five years, but I believe they only consider the past three years for minor tickets (ie. fail to display two plates)

trenchknife

by: trenchknife on

You're not telling the truth. There is no way possible that you had a few sips of wine and a beer, then an hour later, blew an Alert (which means you had between 50 and 99 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood). It is next to physiologically impossible.

Do not take anything I say as legal advice. Only a lawyer can give legal advice. I am not a lawyer.
Post a Reply