A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

XYNEBB

Help - First Time Offence - Called To Court

by: XYNEBB on

Last week I was driving a car without a license accompanied by my husband who has a G2 lisnce.

I made a wrong left turn and I was stopped over by a cop and charged with

1. driving without a license

2. making a wrong turn

and lastly 3. driving without an authorized accompanying driver (G2)

I am now due to report in court in a month in front of a judge

Questions:

- I plan to plead guilty with an explanation for the first two offenses since I can't imagine how I'd get out of it - but I did take the G1 test and passed 2 days after I got fined... I'm hoping to explain to the judge that I fully intended to get the G1 and had been working on it and just made the idiot move of not waiting fot - WILL THIS HELP in keeping the charges as minimum as possible? (if convictedfine must be between 200 and 1000 if convicted)

- I might be wrong but a friend told me that I cannot be charged with "driving without an authorized driver" because I did not have the G1 and that rule is only for G1 drivers and so I can be charged ONLY for driving without a license - IS THIS TRUE????? If so, I want to plead not guilty and avoid paying the 150$

(PS I know this will affect my insurance rates but I don't plan to own a car for the next several years in anycase)

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO TO MAKE MY CASE STRONGER???

Please help!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

It is true that you shouldn't be able to be properly convicted of a novice driver offence if you in fact had no licence. Guiltywith an explation may not be the option you want if you plan on disputing 1 of the 3 charges. You might have better luck requesting a trial and then speaking with the prosecutor in advance at a resolution meeting. They would have the ability to drop #3 if you plead to #1 and 2, or some similar arrangement. They also have the ability to agree to a joint submission on the fine.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
viper1

by: viper1 on

Simon is correct.

My thoughts:

Your insurance record starts from when you start paying for it, not later.(you will get a bit of a break for the years licensed but "minor").

What you need to do is:

Find a friend who is willing to let you be added to their policy as an occasional driver.

Get them to add you to the policy and pay the difference.(even if you never drive the car)

After 6-12 months you have a record of insurance.(cheaper)

Now apply (assuming no accidents etc.)

When you talk to agent mention that you may need house insurance too.(bigger discount)

talk to DA first! likely they will only try on 1 charge you pay it and be good after that.

Cheers

Stripe1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply