A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

etcheffects

Headlights On Should Be Mandatory

by: etcheffects on

I can't understand why people don't have enough 'common sense' and 'courtesy' to drive with their headlights on - especially in bad weather/road conditions

I was the victim of a MVA as I had to stop abruptly on a uneven paved road [ road tracks ] as the driver in front of me apparently didn't think it was necessary to have his lights on or 4 way flashers, resulting in me to make split second defensive driving to avoid hitting him.

I avoided hitting the vehicle, although as a result of the road conditions, I was a 'hockey puck' on ice ... hydroplaned and rolled my truck 4x through a fence landing on the roof - not a good day.

There is a reason why manufacturers are making ALL of their vehicles with daytime running lights - SAFETY

Let me know if you agree ... maybe we can have this problem rectified and made law

Until then,

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

It pretty much is law. Section 62 of the HTA states lights are required "any time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less". So basically if the weather is bad and you can't see a car from 150 meters away, lights are required.

I think one of the problems is actually with how certain manufacturer's wire their DRL systems. Some cars turn on the dash lights with the DRL, causing motorists to think all their lights are on when in fact they're not.

etcheffects

by: etcheffects on

I think one of the problems is actually with how certain manufacturer's wire their DRL systems. Some cars turn on the dash lights with the DRL, causing motorists to think all their lights are on when in fact they're not.

Well unfortunately not everyone is playing along.

In regard to your statement ...

So basically if the weather is bad and you can't see a car from 150 meters away, lights are required.

I need to ask ....

what would be the charge for a vehicle that did not have their lights on in a dark downpour and caused an accident?

Do you think if a motorist was pulled over and asked questions from the HTA, and asked when they had written their test, if they would know a question regarding 'headlights'??

Post a Reply