A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

iDrew

Getting Licence Back...thats Suspended And Expired

by: iDrew on

I had my license suspended for not paying fines.

My outstanding fine has been sent to a collection agency...

On Monday...I paid the full amount of my amount owing to the agency.

On Tuesday...I went to the ministry of transportation and paid $150 for license reinstatement, but the lady did not give me a TDL (Temporary Driving License) She said...my suspension has not been waved yet...

I called the collection agency...they said my file was closed.

Later on I noticed that my license has expired (Never got the notice because of the suspension)...is your license listed as suspended on the ministry of transportation PC when it expires?

Also...while i was under suspension...I haven't returned my license to the ministry of transportation. Is this going to cause issues?

Im going to try to go and renew my license tomorrow.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

When your licence expires you are listed as "unlicenced" not suspended.

It is an offence to fail to forward a suspended licence to the MTO, but no one there has the authority to charge you for it.

Sounds to me like there's been a break down in communication between the collection agency and the court. You may need to provide proof to them that all fines have been paid in order for your suspension to be formally lifted. The collection agency probably does it themselves, but it may take a little bit.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
iDrew

by: iDrew on

Simon Borys wrote:When your licence expires you are listed as "unlicenced" not suspended.

It is an offence to fail to forward a suspended licence to the MTO, but no one there has the authority to charge you for it.

Sounds to me like there's been a break down in communication between the collection agency and the court. You may need to provide proof to them that all fines have been paid in order for your suspension to be formally lifted. The collection agency probably does it themselves, but it may take a little bit.

You are right. I went to my local court house today and they said it could take up to 2-3 weeks for the information to be updated. They also gave me a number to call since this ticket was in TO.

They didn't even take my old license card when i showed it to them, so who dose have the power to charge you for not surrendering your license to MTO?

I guess the right thing for me to do right now is to wait for the payment receipt to arrive by mail from the collection agency and go to the court house with it.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

iDrew wrote:They didn't even take my old license card when i showed it to them, so who dose have the power to charge you for not surrendering your license to MTO?

Police officer.

iDrew wrote:I guess the right thing for me to do right now is to wait for the payment receipt to arrive by mail from the collection agency and go to the court house with it.

Correct.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply