A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

pinch

Failure To Surrender Insurance

by: pinch on

I got a ticket for failure to surrender insurance because I did not have my new insurance stubs with me, just a bunch of expired ones. My policy number has not changed, so I asked the officer to just run the policy number so I could prove that I was in fact insured. He said they don't have that ability, handed me the ticket and reminded me that my car could have been impounded.

Do police really have no way of verifying insurance, other than those pink pieces of paper insurance companies give us?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

pinch wrote:I got a ticket for failure to surrender insurance because I did not have my new insurance stubs with me, just a bunch of expired ones. My policy number has not changed, so I asked the officer to just run the policy number so I could prove that I was in fact insured. He said they don't have that ability, handed me the ticket and reminded me that my car could have been impounded.

Do police really have no way of verifying insurance, other than those pink pieces of paper insurance companies give us?

Correct, no way of knowing if a vehicle is insured except for the pink insurance card. There is no "magic" 1-800 number to call to find out, nor is the MTO linked to insurance companies either, although that would be the most logical thing.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
pinch

I remember kids in high school counterfeiting those pink insurance slips. They were perfect copies, they even had the perforations along the edges. I thought it was rather ridiculous since I was convinced they could be verified in real time. Now I know that it's the system that's ridiculous. I mean, if you can't verify in real time, why ask for the info to start with?

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

pinch wrote:Any demerit points for this offense?

I'm pretty sure there aren't any. But, click on the "Demerit points" link on the bottom of this page, and see if the subsection you were charged with ("Contrary to: HTA XX.(X)") is NOT on the list to make double-sure.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

Sorry, no points!!

To collect points you need a moving violation.

Something like "pacman" :wink:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
pinch

I think they can ask for these on private property is the vehicle has plates on it. Once you can has plates, your are responsible for having a license, insurance, ownership.

But I don't think they can charge you with a moving violation in a private parking lot since the HTA does not apply.

pinch

I should add that when I was charged with not surrendering insurance, it wasn't under the highway traffic act. So if I was on a private lot, I still could have been charged.

irietek

by: irietek on

Interesting, similar situation happen to me except my little pink slip was in my car and I couldn't find it at that time when the officer pulled me over. My little insurance slip holder only had the expired stubs and my none-expired one somehow got slipped in between my pile of cds. I did have another copy at home.

Is there any way to fight this?

Are officers suppose to give you a certain amount of time to produce your stub?

hwybear

Posting Awards

irietek wrote:Is there any way to fight this?

Must surrender a valid insurance card upon demand. And that is when asked to surrender, not after the officer goes back to cruiser and returns to the car.

There is no such thing as 24hrs to produce.....just an urban legend....or was that back in Bookm's days 8)

Bookm

by: Bookm on

When I was a nervous young'n, I got a ticket for failing to produce my insurance slip. Just as the copp'r pulled away, I FOUND IT! So I pulled out quickly, flashed my headlghts, and pulled HIM over, LMAO!! Let me tell you, he was NOT impressed, LOL. He didn't even put his window down. He just said, "Tell it to my lawyer".

I went to court and the officer wasn't there, so the charge was dropped.

irietek

by: irietek on

hwybear wrote:
irietek wrote:Is there any way to fight this?

Must surrender a valid insurance card upon demand. And that is when asked to surrender, not after the officer goes back to cruiser and returns to the car.

There is no such thing as 24hrs to produce.....just an urban legend....or was that back in Bookm's days 8)

If I went to the police station to produce my none-expired stub would they have the authority to tear up my ticket if they were in a good mood this morning? =)

LOL Bookm's story was quite funny hahah.

hwybear

Posting Awards

irietek wrote:If I went to the police station to produce my none-expired stub would they have the authority to tear up my ticket if they were in a good mood this morning? =)

Sorry, the PON can not just be torn apart. Only a JP can now mark a PON withdrawn.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”