A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

irietek

by: irietek on

hwybear wrote:
irietek wrote:If I went to the police station to produce my none-expired stub would they have the authority to tear up my ticket if they were in a good mood this morning? =)

Sorry, the PON can not just be torn apart. Only a JP can now mark a PON withdrawn.

Sorry for my noobness, what does the acronyms PON and JP stand for?

Also, when the officer pulled me over he said it was because when he punched in my license plate it matched a suspected driver who's license has been expired. Is this legit???? I thought if they punched in my license plate on their terminal it would tell them that information.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Also, when the officer pulled me over he said it was because when he punched in my license plate it matched a suspected driver who's license has been expired. Is this legit???? I thought if they punched in my license plate on their terminal it would tell them that information.

PON=Provincial Offence Notice

JP=Justice of the Peace

Plate numbers do get reused but that one is fishy

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
irietek

by: irietek on

Reflections wrote:

PON=Provincial Offence Notice

JP=Justice of the Peace

Plate numbers do get reused but that one is fishy

oops I meant to say that he said my plate pulled up a profile who's Driver's License was expired.

Quite confusing!

I was pulled over around 3:00 am this morning, if this was a tactic to pull someone over because they were on the road at 3:00 AM to see if they were drunk or DUI then I feel pretty violated!

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Officers can pull you over just to check and see if you have all the required documentation, I don't know why they don't just say that. Back in my youthful days I had an officer pull me over in a "Mobile RIDE" check..... whatever.....blah, blah. He was OK just saying hello, nudge, nudge.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Reflections wrote:...Back in my youthful days I had an officer pull me over in a "Mobile RIDE" check..... whatever.....blah, blah. He was OK just saying hello, nudge, nudge.

Ya know... this wouldn't happen if you'd keep it in your own lane! :P

pinch

by: pinch on

hwybear wrote:

Must surrender a valid insurance card upon demand. And that is when asked to surrender, not after the officer goes back to cruiser and returns to the car.

The officer that wrote me up came back from his cruiser with tickets in hand, then asked me if I had found my insurance before he handed me the tickets. So he actually was providing me a chance.... and all this time I thought he was a hard nose. Too bad I already paid the ticket for failure to surrender - I could have used it as leverage with the prosecutor against the offense he pulled me over for to begin with. I wish I had started reading this forum earlier. Oh well, live and learn.

TridentX2

by: TridentX2 on

hwybear

The officer was able to determine I was insured without having ANY physical identification.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

TridentX2 wrote:hwybear

The officer was able to determine I was insured without having ANY physical identification.

sorry....I don't understand what you just wrote.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
TridentX2

by: TridentX2 on

My apologies.

"Correct, no way of knowing if a vehicle is insured except for the pink insurance card. There is no "magic" 1-800 number to call to find out, nor is the MTO linked to insurance companies either, although that would be the most logical thing."

In regards to my offense, I did not provide the officer anything but my name and address.

He was able to confirm I was insured and licensed without any physical identification.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

TridentX2 wrote:My apologies.

"Correct, no way of knowing if a vehicle is insured except for the pink insurance card. There is no "magic" 1-800 number to call to find out, nor is the MTO linked to insurance companies either, although that would be the most logical thing."

In regards to my offense, I did not provide the officer anything but my name and address.

He was able to confirm I was insured and licensed without any physical identification.

Whether it is confirmed or not, still can be an offence for: fail to surrender insurance card and/or fail to surrender licence

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”