A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Solan

Elderly Pedestrian Hit And Charged...

by: Solan on

My 84 year old mother in law was hit by a car while crossing at a crosswalk and issued a ticket for Pedestrian Disobey Flashing Green Light.

She was using a walker and crossed when she saw the crosswalk signal indicate was safe to do so. She had waited while the big X was flashing and traffic to her right had a advance green flashing light turning left where she was crossing. A car turning right onto the street going east struck her. My guess is that car was trying to beat the other traffic that had to wait for the advance green light. Why would my mother in law be charged? This makes no sense to me.. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.....

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Im not following. Did your mother in law cross with an actual pedestrian "walk" signal? Or simply when there was an advanced green?

If she crossed when there was an advanced (or flashing) green then that was illegal. Since the advance signal is supposed to facilitate turning vehicles, pedestrians are required to wait. In that situation its also possible that the vehicle that struck your mother in law could have had a green right turn arrow as well.

If your mother actually entered the intersection with a walk signal, then the vehicle that struck her should be at fault for failing to yield.

Hope shes ok.

Post a Reply