A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

viper1

Driving Protocol

by: viper1 on

I have 40 years of driving (cars,5-tons,rigs,street bikes,go-carts,

off road bikes and tow motors.)

I have been in no accidents over these 5 -6 million km's.(likely double km's).

I have always used the 1 car length for every 16 kph protocol.(as a distance between me and the next car.)

Today 2 things happened today.

1rst/ I am going at the speed limit of 401 (100 slowest lane) 6 car lengths between me and car in front.

Car behind is blinking lights to indicate I must speed up?(to close gap).( I did salute her)

2nd/I am going limit but still giving about 4 car lengths (60 k zone)

Car be hind honks repeated times for me to close gap.(I ignore with salute)

He gets past me to save 1 car length. wow.

Where has the respect gone?

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

I hear you. I drive back and forth every day from work now and its aggressive, ppl tailgating me in 90 zones, so they can get home like what 5 minutes quicker?

But Salut to you for having a no accident driving experience in your 40 years of driving!

We need more smart and patient drivers, everyone drives so aggressive now.

viper1

admin wrote:I hear you. I drive back and forth every day from work now and its aggressive, ppl tailgating me in 90 zones, so they can get home like what 5 minutes quicker?

But Salut to you for having a no accident driving experience in your 40 years of driving!

We need more smart and patient drivers, everyone drives so aggressive now.

I am glad you replied Admin

There just so many accidents that just do not need to happen.

Take care all.

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Good for you viper!! Wish more people were like that, leaving more time to get places, driving reasonable.

I also am in that same boat, more so that I now drive about 50min to work. In fact I set cruise at the start and just let it stay the same. Now I actually obtain a constant arrival time both ways. Also I do enter a higher speed zone, but do not change the cruise setting, staying at the previous zone limit, this in turn is allowing me to save lots of fuel and get about 800km to a tank, and that is on a 4cyl chev!!

even at work, set the cruise bang on/just under the limit, seems to work well all around

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

I hear you viper.

viper1 wrote:Car behind is blinking lights to indicate I must speed up?(to close gap).( I did salute her)

People are neurotic. Very, very neurotic. A couple of months ago, I merged onto the DVP at around 5:30 in the morning. Now, there was a red pickup truck about 100 feet behind in the lane I'm moving in to (probably more... maybe 150 feet). I accelerated to the same speed, WITH the signal on, and moved in. What does he do (keep in mind, he's over 100 feet back and we're doing about 40 km/h in heavy traffic)? Lays on the horn and flashes his brights at me for about 3 kilometres. "Hello, police? I've got a nutcase behind me on the DVP..." What? Should I NOT signal next time? Or are people not allowed to merge in front of Sir A@@hole-a-lot, even with a gap you could stick a cruise ship in to?

Then there's the BS we see every day, both from overly aggressive and overly timid drivers...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
manwithaplan

by: manwithaplan on

I hear that. When you're in the slow lane, your obeying the law by doing the speed limit. When people start tail gating me at that point, I start slowing down slowly (safely, I should add). Doesn't do them any favours, so they go around. Problem solved. I've covered my ass (literally and figuratively).

I should add - this is especially common on the 407. I'll be killing time at work and set the cruise to 105, and I always get cars riding me in the slow lane (trying to hurry off to the next exit). I don't stress it. If you're dumb enough to get in the slow lane 2 km before the exit, that's your problem. Cruise control doesn't react to tail gating. Or slow drivers trying to merge.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

manwithaplan wrote: If you're dumb enough to get in the slow lane 2 km before the exit, that's your problem. .

I would rather see the move/merge over 2km before and see them "fidgetting waiting" than the 200m and less lane cutters from left to right across 3 lanes and just going across the "bullnose" area of the ramp!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

In most places, the people who dive off a freeway at the last second are the aggressive ones. In the GTA, 75% of the people who cut across three lanes and the bullnose at the last second were going 10-20 km/h under the limit in the left, or second-to-left lane. Not surprisingly, it seems to happen much more frequently here than other cities...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
manwithaplan

by: manwithaplan on

hwybear wrote:
manwithaplan wrote: If you're dumb enough to get in the slow lane 2 km before the exit, that's your problem. .

I would rather see the move/merge over 2km before and see them "fidgetting waiting" than the 200m and less lane cutters from left to right across 3 lanes and just going across the "bullnose" area of the ramp!

Good point actually. Last November I almost collided with another car that tried to cut across the bullnose area on the switch off heading to the express from the collectors. He hit the median and spun out right in front of me, I missed hitting him by inches.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

i only wish there were more initiatives on proper lane change enforcement, especially at transfers

hwybear wrote:I would rather see the move/merge over 2km before and see them "fidgetting waiting" than the 200m and less lane cutters from left to right across 3 lanes and just going across the "bullnose" area of the ramp!
Radar Identified wrote:In most places, the people who dive off a freeway at the last second are the aggressive ones. In the GTA, 75% of the people who cut across three lanes and the bullnose at the last second were going 10-20 km/h under the limit in the left, or second-to-left lane. Not surprisingly, it seems to happen much more frequently here than other cities...
aren't these against the s172?

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed.[/quote]i guess those doing it at a slow-rate of speed would also fall under s172

Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the drivers sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

if only the powers that be were really invested in traffic congestion/management

we then have good Darwin take care of these people

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/07 ... -by-truck/

why on god's green earth would you exit your vehicle in a live-lane? especially on the 407

viper1

The thing that gets me the angriest is left or right turning cars/trucks that will not go all the way into their lane.

Their rear end blocks the through lanes.

And why is a cab allowed in HOV lane? (least efficient vehicle).

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
Reflections

by: Reflections on

viper1 wrote:

And why is a cab allowed in HOV lane? (least efficient vehicle).

Cheers

Viper1

Mass transit vehicle<<<<< usually more then 1 occupant

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Radar Identified

viper1 wrote:The thing that gets me the angriest is left or right turning cars/trucks that will not go all the way into their lane.

Yep, no argument from me. You get people driving regular passenger vehicles who think that their car couldn't possibly make that tight turn across 3 lanes of traffic, so they straddle the lane so they can make sure they turn properly. Holy Crab Cakes if a bus driver with a vehicle that's about 40% wider and four times as long can make that turn, I guarantee you can do that too! Also frustrating are those people who can't keep their vehicle in between the lines when driving straight... which, to me, indicates that they lack the basic intellectual and/or physical capacity to drive a vehicle, or possibly be unsupervised in public, but they don't seem to notice.

iFly55 wrote:aren't these against the s172?

I wish. I'd say driving more than 20 km/h above or below the median traffic speed would be an unsafe speed, but I think the courts are probably only looking at people who are going fast for "marked departure."

iFly55 wrote:ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the drivers sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

I think this provision was for "brake jobs," or the occasional vigilante who feels the need to jump in front of a faster moving vehicle to slow it down... but I was kinda hoping they'd hit left lane bandits with it... of course that'd be asking too much. Oh well.

iFly55 wrote:

if only the powers that be were really invested in traffic congestion/management

If only...

iFly55 wrote:why on god's green earth would you exit your vehicle in a live-lane? especially on the 407

Some people just seem to totally lack a basic instinct for self-preservation. I dunno, given the fact that I often see people going 160 or more on that road... well... getting out and checking the tire is the LAST thing I'd want to do.

Post a Reply