Driver's Record For Employment Purposes

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Watson18

Driver's Record For Employment Purposes

Unread post by Watson18 »

Back in March 2013 I was ticketed by OPP for speeding 16-29 kms over the subject to 3 demerit points and a $235 fine.

I made a deal with the prosecutor and agreed to 0-15 kms over the limit with no demerit points and a $115 fine.

I`m applying for a job that will require my driver`s abstract/record. What will the abstract show? The original charge? The charge I pleaded to? The original charge and the reduced charge?

Is there a way the employer can find out about the original charge if I never pleaded guilt to that one? I pleaded guilty to the lesser charge so I hoping that all that shows up on my abstract.

I'm going to order a 3-year abstract for the job when I meet with them in Jan 2015 but wanted to find out from this forum first.

Thank you.

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

It will show what you plead to. They can't find out from an abstract the original charge but keep in mind that conviction for 15 over the limit implies that you were given a break by the officer on the scene or worked out something with the prosecutor. So if they care enough to ask you how fast you were going and you say 15 over I would think you were a liar and not hire you.

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

That's not entirely true, I was in a vehicle with a family friend and we were caught speeding 85 in a 70 zone. The average speed on this road is ~120 to 130km/h.

We were very surprised the police set their enforcement threshold so low. It was a divided major arterial road, with no pedestrian sidewalks. It literally looks like a 400-series freeway.

Streetview: http://goo.gl/FGLUoC

My friend was really upset, he was telling the cops why didn't they start ticketing at 90? Another driver who was stopped before us was arguing his ticket was for +13km/h, it wasn't reduced.

On streets with posted speed limits of 30, 40, 50 km/h getting +15 for your original ticket is not uncommon.

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

In my personal experience most officers are pragmatic and will not ticket for less than 15 or under. Then again I've seen tickets 8 over. Almost all tickets that I have come across that are for 15 over were roadside reductions.