A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

BobbySteeles

Demerit Points Reduced After The Fact

by: BobbySteeles on

Hi there,

I was curious if there is any way that demerit points can be reduced or taken off of one's record after the tickets have been paid. I know in Alberta one can take a 'safe driving course' after a certain amount of time with a clean record and get demerit points taken off. Is there any such thing in Ontario? Is there any way to do something like this?

Thanks

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

BobbySteeles wrote:Hi there,

I was curious if there is any way that demerit points can be reduced or taken off of one's record after the tickets have been paid. I know in Alberta one can take a 'safe driving course' after a certain amount of time with a clean record and get demerit points taken off. Is there any such thing in Ontario? Is there any way to do something like this?

Thanks

Are you under some kind of threat of suspension or something? I mean, why bother? Demerit points are rather useless to the general population unless you're a novice driver.

- Insurance companies don't care about your demerit points.

- They are only used as an indicator on whether you should be suspended or not.

- They expire after 2 years from the date you were charged.

- If you're able to rack up 15 points in a two year span, you probably shouldn't be driving to begin with.

- Requesting a trial will run the clock on your points without even having them on your abstract.

Hypothetically speaking in a fantasy world, if I was charged with 1 km over and was offered either:

(a) 6 demerit points with immunity from insurance rate increases or;

(b) The current system where i'd be charged 0 points and leave it in the hands of my insurance company

I'd take the 6 points all day long.

pirish

Posting Awards

by: pirish on

JohnDeere wrote:Short answer: no. They will be on your record for 2 years.

However, you shouldn't worry about the points unless you have so many, you're risking a license suspension. The insurance companies don't look at points.

Not completely true... Demerits don't hold much but it's the nature of the ticket usually plays a roll....But some companies do monitor demerits.. RBC insurance will drop you if you have acquired 6. could be accumulated (3 minor tickets) or one (careless driving)

Post a Reply