A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

riggyzomba

15 Days To Select Option

by: riggyzomba on

Hello all,

In revieiwing some of the forums, I have come up with a question - it is not specific to any circumstance, situation or forum, but just a thought. From what I understand, an alleged offender has 15 days to select one of three options when a ticket is issued. An officer has seven days to submit his/her report/paperwork/tickets. Many forums suggest that an alleged offender should select one of the three options post haste (but within the 15 days obviously). My question is - would it not be prudent for the person charged to wait for eight days to submit their response, in case the officer, for whatever reason, did not submit the required paperwork in a timely manner? In other words, if the ticket is responded to within the first seven days, would it not serve as a reminder for the officer to ensure all their paperwork is complete? I would be interested to hear some thoughts.

Thanks.

tom1331

Posting Awards

by: tom1331 on

I think it works both ways.

If you file for a court date the next day then it shows the court and the officer

You won't back down from a fight and you'reready for a battle .

On the other hand, if you wait it out then maybe the officer had other thingsto do

And forgot to file his paperwork properly.

I always file right away so if I end up filing for an 11b I tell the justice of the peace

That I'm very serious about the charge against me and I've waited long

Enough for this day to come to plead my innocence.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

The two activities are completely different. I file my ticket right away and only prepare disclosure if the matter is set for trial. When the driver responds within the 15 days makes no difference and I don't even hear about it.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

riggyzomba wrote:Hello all,

In revieiwing some of the forums, I have come up with a question - it is not specific to any circumstance, situation or forum, but just a thought. From what I understand, an alleged offender has 15 days to select one of three options when a ticket is issued. An officer has seven days to submit his/her report/paperwork/tickets. Many forums suggest that an alleged offender should select one of the three options post haste (but within the 15 days obviously). My question is - would it not be prudent for the person charged to wait for eight days to submit their response, in case the officer, for whatever reason, did not submit the required paperwork in a timely manner? In other words, if the ticket is responded to within the first seven days, would it not serve as a reminder for the officer to ensure all their paperwork is complete? I would be interested to hear some thoughts.

Thanks.

You're thinking too much. If you will feel better submitting it on the 9th,10th, or 11th day, do just that.

tom1331 wrote:I think it works both ways.

If you file for a court date the next day then it shows the court and the officer

You won't back down from a fight and you'reready for a battle .

Nobody is paying attention on whether you file it the next day. Trials are booked for convenience. If you were part of a speed trap, you'll usually have the same trial date as the others pulled over on that date, or the week after where he did the same thing. You could have filed that very day, or there's a guy who filed the 14th day. Nobody cares. The people filing your paperwork work a regular days work just like everyone else. You are just another sheet of paper. The officer gets his date with a list of all the others he's pulled over and he knows he needs to bring his notes. Nothing more, nothing less. It's like every other mundane job. There's nothing special going on.

Post a Reply