A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

binbin

Attending The Appeal In A Local Court...

by: binbin on

Hello everyone! this is my first timer. We Ontario residents do need a site like this to help out among ourselves.

I am sure quite a number of you have this experience: got a ticket while on the way to cottage county or somewhere far away from your home city. I live in Markham and get caught in Hwy 11. The court of justice address on the ticket is in Orillia. I don't want to drive all the way to Orillia to arrange for an appeal, and go there again for the trial a few months later. Is there a way I can arrange for an appeal, and do the trial in a local court (Markham or Scarborough)?

If that won't work, can I simply mail the first attendance form to the Orillia court to tell them I want to appeal, or do I need to go to their office in person? Or can I ask my friend to do it on my behalf?

Many tx

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

It is not an "appeal". You are simply challenging the ticket itself. So you should read the "trial option" and follow those instructions. Offence notices vary on the back as to how to go about this, so read carefully. Some are mail in, some must appear in person.

If you select the trial, it will be in the court jurisdiction of where the offence took place.

An appeal is when a trial has been completed and either the crown or the defendant wants to challenge/appeal the result of said trial.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

If you want to file the paperwork in Markham, you can. However like 'bear said the trial, and all other official proceedings, will take place in the juristiction where the "offence" took place.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
binbin

I tried to file the paperwork at Toronto south office (old city hall), they refused. They said I have to go to the court location indicated at the back of the ticket (Orillia). And the last day to appeal is tomorrow. It sucks.

Should I try another court location, say Richmond Hill? It does not make sense for me to take hours off just to do the paperwork.

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Never trust what the people at city hall tell you. First it's not an appeal. You are requesting a trial. Don't use the word "appeal", it will confuse them and you.

Next, I'm assuming you have a traffic ticket not a parking ticket.

Traffic tickets are taken within 15 days to any Provincial Offences Office in Ontario. There is one on Edward street (first street north of Dundas) 10 metres east of University Ave.) on the south side. You have to go upstairs to the second floor and see the woman behind the bullet proof glass on the right. (Ok maybe it's not bullet proof.)

Taking the ticket to old city hall is pointless. You can't request any trials there!

For an introduction on where to go to request a trial see: http://www.ticketcombat.com/step2/step2.php

binbin

thanks ticketcombat!

I hv been readin ur website. really informative and eye openin. we need to unite and fight this time wasting and blood suckin system.

I will go to the court office u mention tomorrow.

too bad i still hv to go to Orillia for the attendance

many thanks again

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

binbin wrote:we need to unite and fight this time wasting and blood suckin system.I will go to the court office u mention tomorrow.

too bad i still hv to go to Orillia for the attendance

Easy solution: just drive within the jurisdiction where you live :)

I agree...time wasting system.....own up to ones mistakes, learn by it and move on

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
binbin

i tried ur place (137 Edward st) and it wont let me thru either. she said becuz te ticket allows me to mail in for the trial, they cannot register a court date for me. I insist to her to try to process it for me as the ticket is in the system. she said yes she can access the system, if i wanna pay for the ticket she can do it for me, but for arranging a court date i hv to mail in the ticket or go to the orillia court.

another waste of time

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”