A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

cattlerepairman

Amber Beacon

by: cattlerepairman on

I operate a (historic) tandem axle truck with Ontario licence plates on public highways. The top speed of the vehicle is below the speed traffic on a highway customarily moves at (my truck tops out at 80 km/h).

I am worried about getting rear-ended by an inattentive driver and contemplate operating an amber beacon on my truck for that reason, to increase visibility of the fact that my truck is there.

The truck is not engaged in construction activities and only very rarely towing anything.

Common sense would suggest that a law enforcement officer would prefer the beacon over having to do the collision report, but what is the educated opinion?

Komitet

by: Komitet on

Stanton may be incorrect, one of my employees was recently stopped on the 400 nb for driving with his beacon on. He was informed that the amber light is for service vehicles "performing" service.

This was a hydro one truck just driving. Not working. I think at the minimum you need a slow moving vehicle triangle affixed to your rear.

Science will fly you to the moon, religion will fly you into buildings.
cattlerepairman

by: cattlerepairman on

Komitet wrote:Stanton may be incorrect, one of my employees was recently stopped on the 400 nb for driving with his beacon on. He was informed that the amber light is for service vehicles "performing" service.

This was a hydro one truck just driving. Not working. I think at the minimum you need a slow moving vehicle triangle affixed to your rear.

I would think the slow moving vehicle sign is a no-no. My truck is capable of reaching and sustaining speeds greater than 40 km/h and displaying the sign on a vehicle that is faster is explicitly prohibited.

Post a Reply