186 Km/hr On The Gardiner

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

tdrive2

186 Km/hr On The Gardiner

Unread post by tdrive2 »

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

Am i missing something. What did this guy do so special to make the news ?

That's interesting and we never heard about Miss Heidi Fischer's day in court. Well that happened almost a month ago. Was the news about Robert Tapp even public?

Or is this just another citizen screwed over by this unjust law, car impounded, and not getting his chance in court?

Only in Ontario.

How did it take so long to get this guy?

Thats quite a bit of distance. I am guessing no OPP detachment in between and they had to wait.?

Why is this story news anyways?

The media forgot to tell us about Miss Fischer's day in court and the time just a few months back she was going 168 on a hillcrest and hit an old lady. What was the posted limit there 60?

I mean 186 on a 3 lane expressway is fast. But enough to tow your car, 7 day license suspension, and no court date??

What happened to Robert Tapp. Was he not going 180 something. Did they tow his car?

Good ole media again to, i could have swore the Gardiner was 90 km/hr.

Whats next now is Fantino going to blow your car up on the news if it hits 175?

How is this news 186? I am sure they get speeds like this every day on the 400 and the 407.

FiReSTaRT

Unread post by FiReSTaRT »

Well that part of the Gardiner can get pretty nasty and the guy should have probably been nailed with careless.

What worries me more is the noise that the rabble is making in the comments section. That law should save lives? That law exists and the guy was still breaking it. Bravo, you moron (whoever posted that comment).

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
tdrive2

Unread post by tdrive2 »

I agree maybe careless driving, etc.

He was probably swerving lanes, etc.

Lol "Car towed for a week"

Impounded? i think they meant. The media never provides any info.

The last time they reported the 250 km/hr on the 400 they mentioned a "laser radar device." I am sure hwybear must have had quite the chuckle over that one :lol: or a sick perverse dream about the ultimate speed measuring device :shock:

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

FiReSTaRT wrote:Well that part of the Gardiner can get pretty nasty and the guy should have probably been nailed with careless.

He definitely deserved a big ticket. 186 near Islington/Kipling on the Gardiner is a little crazy. But something that is even nuttier than that is, oh, I don't know... not buckling your kids up!!!

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_33833.aspx

In the mean time another driver got caught going more than 50 km/h over the limit on the Gardiner this weekend... 145 km/h, more than 80 mgs of alcohol in blood, and no insurance. As for speeds on the Gardiner/DVP, I really haven't noticed a huge change overall from pre-203 to post-203...

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_33861.aspx
FiReSTaRT wrote:What worries me more is the noise that the rabble is making in the comments section.

Yeah, me too. More people who want to grease the slippery slope. Some people would favour living in a country like Stalinist Russia if it was in the name of "safety." They don't realize just how bad that really would be.

FiReSTaRT

The failure of democracy is that those people have the same say as a person who takes the time to become familiar with the issues and can fully comprehend the consequences of the vote and what their elected representatives stand for. In my riding even Hitler could win a parliament seat if he ran under the fiberal banner.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

tdrive2 wrote:http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

Am i missing something. What did this guy do so special to make the news ?

That's interesting and we never heard about Miss Heidi Fischer's day in court. Well that happened almost a month ago. Was the news about Robert Tapp even public?

Well, either the media has to treat every one the same or do not report at all. Either the paper publishes the names of every motorist with the 50 over charge or none at all. This is a discrimating (involves treating an individual differently because of their possession of an attribute unrelated to the situation, in contrast to the treatment received by another individual in the same circumstances.) report that the driver name was not published and yet an officer name was published for less of a speed.

I have never heard of anyone outcome in POA court published, so why segregate one out and not the other, that would be discrimination too.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

Unread post by Reflections »

We heard about 250 on the 400 and 186 on the Gardiner.....those are big number for public roads......We have not heard about all the S.172 charges....and we don't need to. The fact that some officers have been charged with this is somewhat news worthy.......do we need all the details, mmmmm, no. Should we know if somebody is a repeat offender, yes.

Take away his license and kids....A$$hat.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
FiReSTaRT

Public servants caught breaking the law on taxpayer's time and with taxpayer's gear should be put under closer scrutiny.

Now if a cop got nailed in a personal vehicle, on his/her own time, he/she shouldn't be put under any extra scrutiny even though there is considerable pressure to put more scrutiny on people who enforce the laws when they break them.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

FiReSTaRT wrote:Public servants caught breaking the law on taxpayer's time and with taxpayer's gear should be put under closer scrutiny.

Now if a cop got nailed in a personal vehicle, on his/her own time, he/she shouldn't be put under any extra scrutiny even though there is considerable pressure to put more scrutiny on people who enforce the laws when they break them.

Obviously we are under scrutiny, not only by the public, but everyone seems to forget we will also have internal charges. We are affected by this both on and off duty.

But in fairness, like a majority of us agree the HTA is worded poorly in a lot of areas. For many years...."lawful execution of duties" was anytime we were on the clock, now it appears to have changed in an opinion, however no adjustment has been made to the law as it is written.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

Internal investigations aren't really public and most taxpayers like to have a transparent picture of what their dollars are financing.

It's the equivalent of what a parliament member is doing with his budget. If he spends it on booze and hookers, he'll (theoretically, but not in practice) get into some major hot water.

Reflections

Unread post by Reflections »

FiReSTaRT wrote:If he spends it on booze and hookers, he'll (theoretically, but not in practice) get into some major hot water.

He can keep the hookers, I'll take the booze though :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

FiReSTaRT wrote:The failure of democracy is that those people have the same say as a person who takes the time to become familiar with the issues and can fully comprehend the consequences of the vote and what their elected representatives stand for.

Unfortunately.

However, you strike me as the kind of person who would dig beyond the sound bytes and headlines to find out what the real issues, action plans and consequences are before casting your vote. I think that many people in Canada don't have an understanding that a free society can be very fragile, just how privileged we really are, and why we need to be careful to keep it that way. Anyways... back to the topic...

Reflections wrote:Take away his license and kids....A$$hat.

This was more newsworthy to me than someone who was going 186 on the Gardiner Expressway, as "wild" as 186 may be. And yes he was 100% pure a$$hat.

tdrive2

Unread post by tdrive2 »

I still find it amazing.

186.... people have been caught going alot faster than that.

I have heard a few stories where people were speeding even worse and it never made the news.

Why is this one so special?

tdrive2

Unread post by tdrive2 »

It was like that one where Miss Fischer was going 168 on a hillcrest somewhere in the back roads.

She went up over the hill and crashed into a senior citizen.

I had to dig for that one.

Boy186 on a 3 lane expressway and one of Ontario's finest going 168 crashing into an old lady who in know way would have seen her coming hardly breaks news?

It amazes me that this is news. I am sure on a long weekend along the 407 or the 400 they get speeds that are higher then this.

Return to “General Talk”