sam45

School Bus Stopping Question

by: sam45 on

So today i really didn't see a school bus that was stopped infront of me on the opposite side of the road, the stop sign was out but im pretty sure the flashing lights werent working/on. The driver honked a couple times luckily i stopped just in time, I might have been around 5 metres from the bus. Can I still get charged for this for being too close? Thank you so much for the help in advance.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

sam45 wrote:Can I still get charged for this for being too close?

When approaching a school bus, I don't believe there's a minimum distance required as long as you remain in front of it. If coming from behind, you're required to stop at least 20 metres behind. That's so the driver can see your vehicle.

DCamM

Posting Awards

by: DCamM on

HTA clearly states that the bus must be stopped (as soon as the wheels stop rotating, the stop signs flip-out and they begin flashing). You are not required to stop for a school bus that is driving along with the top red lights flashing.

***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

DCamM wrote:HTA clearly states that the bus must be stopped (as soon as the wheels stop rotating, the stop signs flip-out and they begin flashing). You are not required to stop for a school bus that is driving along with the top red lights flashing.

The bus has to be stopped and overhead lights activated..... There is no requirement to have the stop arm out to be in violation of failing to stop, the stop arm is just an additional safety measure for those that haven't noticed the overhead lights and they trying to go past

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply