An Observer

T Intersection & School Bus

by: An Observer on

Good day,

The following occurrence has been observed at an intersection by my house a few times and has raised some discussion amongst the neighbors. I'm curious as to what your thoughts are.

The details:

- Street A intersects and ends at Street B (T intersection) with a stop sign on A but none on B.

- The school bus with signals on is stopped at the intersection on Street A (facing B) and a student disembarks and crosses Street A (in front of the bus).

- A vehicle on Street B approaches the intersection from the bus' right side.

- When the vehicle reaches the intersection, with the student crossing A Street, it does not stop but continues in it's direction of travel.

As suggested in similar postings we checked the HTA along with the MTO's supporting documentation on School Bus safety and in their Driver's Handbook. The explanations and illustrations in both are specific to vehicles that are approaching from behind or meeting from the front on the same road.

In this circumstance with a vehicle being on a different street, should the vehicle have stopped for the bus?

Thanks.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

If turning onto street A it would have to stop and not proceed until school bus lights stopped flashing, but vehicles approaching from either direction on street B do not have to stop if they are continuing on street B.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply