Failure To Stop For A School Bus

guideman

Failure To Stop For A School Bus

Unread post by guideman »

I got a ticket in september 2008 for failing to stop for a school bus on the Danforth. There was a lot of traffic and trucks and i just never saw the bus.

I requested disclosure 2 months ago and it is not ready. I am going to court will go to court later this week to see if the officer shows up, if not I will ask for an adjournment.

It has been almost a year already. This extra delay isn't my fault so I can start processing a Stay due to the delay in getting to trial?

If it goes to trial, how much of an argumeent can be made my view of the bus being obstructed? The bus was on the other side of the road and I was on the extreme right lane of a 4 lane highway and there were SUV and trucks in between. Should I take a lesser charge if offered?

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by racer »

Fail to stop for a school bus is a serious offense. Definitely take lower charge if offered. However, your arguing point with the prosecutor is not getting that disclosure on time.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
guideman

Unread post by guideman »

The charge was withdrawn! The officer showed up in street clothes (day off?) but the prosecutor said the officer had no evidence. Did the cop just show up to get overtime pay?

Either way I'm so relieved. I was prepared to request a adjournment and start the stay process but now it's over.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by racer »

All is well that end well. Congrats on an easy ticket win!

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Plenderzoosh

Unread post by Plenderzoosh »

guideman wrote:Did the cop just show up to get overtime pay?

Typically officers have many tickets scheduled on the same day in order to maximize the number of cases they can actually testify in.