Failing To Remain

Ajiparan

Failing To Remain

Unread post by Ajiparan »

I was backing out of my driveway and i struck my neighbours car which was parked on the road. I panicked and drove to another street and parked to car to think about what just happened. My neighbour saw the accident and went to my house and I soon returned (in approximately 10-20 minutes). I talked to my neighbour and he said he had already called the cops since it was a rental car and he needed a police report. He assured me that everything was alright and after leaving him with my contact information and my drivers licence number, I left to go where I was going. The cops showed up about 5 hours later and charged me with "fail to remain" and "careless driving." Since I returned to the scene and was an honest mistake, can I fight these charges?

Please advice. Thank you in advance for your time!

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

Ajiparan wrote:I was backing out of my driveway and i struck my neighbours car which was parked on the road. I panicked and drove to another street and parked to car to think about what just happened. My neighbour saw the accident and went to my house and I soon returned (in approximately 10-20 minutes). I talked to my neighbour and he said he had already called the cops since it was a rental car and he needed a police report. He assured me that everything was alright and after leaving him with my contact information and my drivers licence number, I left to go where I was going. The cops showed up about 5 hours later and charged me with "fail to remain" and "careless driving." Since I returned to the scene and was an honest mistake, can I fight these charges?

Please advice. Thank you in advance for your time!

You told the guy that you hit his car?Right?

Why should you wait 5 hours for the cops to show up?

you have 48 hours to go to the collision reporting center.

You can easy beat beat both tickets

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

viper1 wrote:

b/c there are no reporting centres in my area, where does the 48hrs come from? I have not found this timeline anywhere in the HTA. Thought it was still soon as practicable as a collision reporting centre was to free up traffic from unnecessary blockages by damaged vehicles?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

hwybear wrote:
viper1 wrote:

b/c there are no reporting centres in my area, where does the 48hrs come from? I have not found this timeline anywhere in the HTA. Thought it was still soon as practicable as a collision reporting centre was to free up traffic from unnecessary blockages by damaged vehicles?

I thought you lived near kitchener HWYBEAR?

I am not sure. So strike my previous comment.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Armour

Unread post by Armour »

hwybear wrote:
viper1 wrote:

Here in Toronto it's 24 hours

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/traffic/collision.php

Traffic Services

Collision Reporting Centres

The Collision Reporting Centres of Toronto are partnerships between the Toronto Police Service, insurance providers and private enterprise. The concept of self reporting collisions is the main function of the Collision Reporting Centres. Drivers involved in property damage collisions MUST report within twenty four hours to a Collision Reporting Centre, where a police officer inspects the vehicle damage.

Traffic Law

Unread post by Traffic Law »

Please read the legislation you are required to remain or immediately return to the scene of the accident. Sound like you have done it. Careless is a stretch on this one but it depends what you told police at the time. Written statement? Cautioned?