Accident In A Parking Garage, No Charges Yet But Need Advice

lilana

Accident In A Parking Garage, No Charges Yet But Need Advice

Unread post by lilana »

I was driving myself and my sisters to our piano lessons and made contact with another car in the parking garage while trying to park (it's kind of hard to park when you have a 10 yr old and a 12 yr old trying to kill each other in the backseat...) I ended up parking in a different spot all together, one without other cars around it (didn't want to do more damage) and when I got out, I checked my car for damage and walked past the other car to check for damage. I didn't see damage - just paint transfer - and I didn't have paper on me and I didn't see damage, so I went to drop my sisters inside for their lesson, planning to return with a note. I ended up having to take my lesson first, and when I got back to the parking garage (maybe an hour later?) the other car was gone.

My mom got a phone call from the insurance company - another driver saw the incident and took pictures and the driver of the car that I hit reported it to the insurance company (who informed the police). I haven't received formal charges or anything yet, but I'm really worried because it's being called a 'hit and run' and the other driver is alleging that I 'fled the scene of the accident'. I only got my G2 a couple months ago and I'm really worried. Is it possible that nothing will come of this? This happened a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm supposed to go to school in a different country, come September, and I'm worried that this is going to impact my going away.

Any advice would be great :)

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

The police have up to 6 months to charge you with an offence, though it's unlikely it will take that long. The collision itself sounds like a relatively minor accident that would normally be classified as non reportable (meaning the police don't have to be involved and you wouldn't be charged) but since you failed to remain that's no longer an option.

If you're charged now, it will be by summons, meaning you must attend Court. If you're out of the Country, you'll need to find someone to represent you. I'd suggest seeking legal representation since any conviction for failing to remain/report results in serious insurance rate increases. It's possible (though I'm not certain) that you're insurance company could increase your rates even without a charge since they're aware you failed to remain.

Bottom line is you knew you were in a collision, and the paint transfer you saw means that there certainly was damage. Piano lessons aren't a legal justification to avoid or delay your duty to report and exchange information at an accident. You may have honestly had good intentions, but the Courts and Insurance companies are likely to believe you were trying to avoid responsibility.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Agree with Stanton. In the event that you get charged, I'd recommend hiring a paralegal or lawyer who deals with traffic issues.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca