Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
nthn0011

Is Local Traffic Defined In Hta

by: nthn0011 on

Hi... I recently got a ticket for disobeying a sign but the sign was a ROAD CLOSED - LOCAL TRAFFIC SIGN. The officer told me that I had disobeyed a posted sign but my argument was that I was local traffic since I was looking for a friend who lived around that area... was actually lost and happened to get into that road.

I looked up LOCAL TRAFFIC in the HTA and didn't see anything defined under the definition section... wondering if anyone on this forum can concur...

My defense hopefully would be to have the prosecution or the witness define what LOCAL TRAFFIC means.

Thanks,

N

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Local Traffic is usually defined as residential traffic in that area. If you live or work in that area and regularly use that particular road, then you would be considered to be Local Traffic.

If that road is required for you to reach your home or work place then you would be allowed to use that road.

I think unfortunately, the law does not support out of town or non-residents to take advantage of that rule.

But if that road is the only way to get to your friends house, then you can maybe argue that rule and state that the road is the only road that would have led to your friends house. But usually there is always a detour road. IF theres not then you can argue that fact.

Usually these type of signs are posted when the road is unusable, unsafe, and/or is undergoing construction.

nthn0011

Thanks for the response... but where is LOCAL TRAFFIC defined? Yes there was a detour... actually there were two signs which were erected... the first sign said ROAD CLOSED - LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY and had a detour sign... since I saw cars go past the sign, I followed the cars. The second sign said CONSTRUCTION SITE - DO NOT ENTER and that's where I got my ticket...

My friend lived close to the area but if I were to take that to court, I would need to bring my friend to support my evidence... and he was more of an acquaintance.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

Local Traffic would NOT be defined in the OHTA.

It would be defined in the Drivers License Manual issued by the MTO. When you were taking your drivers exam, the MTO handbook explains such things.

It is not a law but a guideline which you would be required to already know, since you hold a Ontario drivers license.

The law assumes you already know the meanings of road signs etc, because you have an Ontario drivers license.

Please keep the forum posted about the results of your ticket. It would be interesting to know what happened. Also, if you require the assistance of a Traffic Ticket Agent, this forum can recommend and refer you to a suitable agent in your area. For an agent to contact you, simply send an email to Admin through this forum with your contact information.

nthn0011

Do you know which section of the Driver's manual? It's interesting you say that because I would have thought that the OHTA would cover that definition.

I am taking it to court to fight myself - wanted to challenge myself, see if I can give them a good run for their money.

Out of curiosity - what is your experience/profession?

I will reference a driver's training handbook - see if I can get that information.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

I don't know what part of the handbook you should refer to, but you should try checking in the sign's section.

My background in this field is related to work with various traffic ticket agents and paralegals. If you find any information that is not accurate on my part, please let me know, as the whole point is to discuss and learn. However, I do have a general understanding of the OHTA and traffic laws.

For a full reference of the OHTA please refer to the forum 'Rules of the Road'.

Good luck on your traffic ticket!

Please keep us informed.

lawmen

by: lawmen on

A "Local Traffic Only" is not a valid sign. It cannot be enforced. A "Do Not Enter" sign is only valid if it meets the proper sign size dimensions and placement on the roadway, as articulated in ss. 31, 32 and 45 of Regulation 615.

Moreover, s. 46 states "no person, other than a municipal corporation or other authority having jurisdiction over a highway, shall erect or maintain a sign prescribed by the Act and regulations."

A Do No Enter sign is covered by regulation 615, thus a city other authority having jurisdiction over a highway would need to pass a by-law allowing the sign to be placed whenever it is used. A construction company has no authority over highways. The Municipal Act covers highways, and allows the city to pass by-laws. But it does not appear to grant them power to pass a do not enter sign on a construction site.

The relevant sections of the HTA, HTA Regulation 615, and Municipal Act have been posted below for future reference.

Highway Traffic Act Regulation 615.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... e.htm#BK11

Do Not Enter Sign

31. A Do Not Enter sign shall,

(a) be rectangular in shape and shall be not less than 60 centimetres in width and 60 centimetres in height; and

(b) bear the markings and have the dimensions as prescribed and illustrated in the following Figure:

32. (1) A sign referred to in section 31 may be accompanied immediately below by a tab bearing the markings and having the dimensions as illustrated in the following Figure:

45. A sign prescribed by this Regulation, other than a sign prescribed by section 13, 14, 15, 24, 25, 26 or 27, shall be so placed as to be visible at all times for a distance of at least 60 metres to the traffic approaching the sign. O. Reg. 175/08, s. 15.

46. No person, other than a municipal corporation or other authority having jurisdiction over a highway, shall erect or maintain a sign prescribed by the Act and regulations. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 46.

Highway Traffic Act
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... .htm#BK212

Signs

144(9) The provisions of this section are subject to any sign, as prescribed by the regulations, forbidding a left turn, right turn, through movement or combination thereof that is posted at an intersection and every driver shall obey every such sign. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (9).

Erection of traffic control signals and signal systems

(31) Subject to subsection (31.1), no traffic control signal system or traffic control signal used in conjunction with a traffic control signal system shall be erected or installed except in accordance with an approval obtained from a person designated to give such approvals by the municipality or other authority that has jurisdiction over the highway or the intersection. 1996, c. 33, s. 14.

Portable signal lights

146. (1) Despite subsection 144 (31), during construction or maintenance activities on or adjacent to a highway, a portable lane control signal system may be operated on the highway in accordance with the regulations by the authority having jurisdiction and control of the highway or any person authorized by that authority. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 146 (1).

Traffic control stop and slow signs

146.1 (1) A traffic control person on a roadway or adjacent to a roadway where construction or maintenance work is being carried out may display a traffic control stop or slow sign. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 23.

Definitions

(7) In this section,

"construction or maintenance work" includes work by a utility, including a public utility within the meaning of the Public Utilities Act or the Municipal Act, 2001, or by a transmitter or distributor within the meaning of the Electricity Act, 1998; ("travaux de construction ou dentretien")

Municipal Act

PART III

SPECIFIC MUNICIPAL POWERS

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... e.htm#BK40

Highways

Definitions

24. In sections 25 to 68,

"bridge" means a public bridge forming part of a highway or on, over or across which a highway passes; ("pont")

"provincial highway" means a highway under the jurisdiction of the Province of Ontario. ("voie publique provinciale") 2001, c. 25, s. 24.

Provincial highways

25. Except as otherwise provided in this Act, sections 26 to 68 do not apply to a provincial highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 25.

What constitutes highway

26. The following are highways unless they have been closed:

1. All highways that existed on December 31, 2002.

2. All highways established by by-law of a municipality on or after January 1, 2003.

3. All highways transferred to a municipality under the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act.

4. All road allowances made by the Crown surveyors that are located in municipalities.

5. All road allowances, highways, streets and lanes shown on a registered plan of subdivision. 2001, c. 25, s. 26.

By-laws

27. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this Act, a municipality may pass by-laws in respect of a highway only if it has jurisdiction over the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 27 (1).

Joint jurisdiction

(2) If a highway is under the joint jurisdiction of two or more municipalities, a by-law in respect of the highway must be passed by all of the municipalities having jurisdiction over the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 27 (2).

Jurisdiction

28. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this Act or under section 8 of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act or in a by-law passed under this Act, a municipality has jurisdiction or joint jurisdiction, as the case may be, over the following highways:

1. All highways over which it had jurisdiction or joint jurisdiction on December 31, 2002.

2. All highways established by by-law of the municipality on or after January 1, 2003.

3. All highways transferred to the municipality under this Act, the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act or any other Act. 2001, c. 25, s. 28 (1).

Local municipalities

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this Act or under section 8 of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act, a local municipality has jurisdiction over,

(a) all road allowances located in the municipality that were made by the Crown surveyors; and

(b) all road allowances, highways, streets and lanes shown on a registered plan of subdivision. 2001, c. 25, s. 28 (2).

Boundary lines

29. (1) Subject to section 28 and to a by-law passed under section 52, the local municipalities on either side of a boundary line between municipalities have joint jurisdiction over any highways forming the boundary line. 2001, c. 25, s. 29 (1).

Joint jurisdiction, bridges

(2) Subject to section 28 and to a by-law passed under section 52, if a bridge joins a highway under the jurisdiction of any municipality to a highway under the jurisdiction of another municipality, the bridge is under the joint jurisdiction of the municipalities. 2001, c. 25, s. 29 (2).

Deviation of boundary lines

(3) If, because of physical difficulties or obstructions, a highway does not follow a boundary line throughout but deviates so that parts of it lie wholly within one of the boundary municipalities, the highway shall be deemed to be the boundary line between the two municipalities for the purposes of determining jurisdiction over the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 29 (3).

(4), (5) Repealed: 2002, c. 17, Sched. A, s. 8.

Agreement

29.1 (1) If municipalities having joint jurisdiction over a boundary line highway enter into an agreement under which each municipality agrees to keep any part of the highway in repair for its whole width and to indemnify the other municipality from any loss or damage arising from the lack of repair for that part, the agreement and a copy of the by-law authorizing the agreement may be registered in the proper land registry office for the area in which the highway is located. 2002, c. 17, Sched. A, s. 9.

Effect

(2) If municipalities enter into an agreement under subsection (1), each municipality has jurisdiction over that part of the highway that it has agreed to keep in repair and is liable for any damages that arise from failure to keep the highway in repair and the other municipality is relieved from all liability in respect of the repair of that part. 2002, c. 17, Sched. A, s. 9.

Ownership

30. A highway is owned by the municipality that has jurisdiction over it subject to any rights reserved by a person who dedicated the highway or any interest in the land held by any other person. 2001, c. 25, s. 30.

Establishing highways

31. (1) Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 16 (1).

By-law necessary

(2) After January 1, 2003, land may only become a highway by virtue of a by-law establishing the highway and not by the activities of the municipality or any other person in relation to the land, including the spending of public money. 2001, c. 25, s. 31 (2); 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 16 (2).

Certain highways not affected

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to highways described in paragraphs 3, 4 and 5 of section 26. 2001, c. 25, s. 31 (3).

Exclusion

(4) A municipality may by by-law assume the following highways for public use and section 44 does not apply to the highways until the municipality has passed the by-law:

1. An unopened road allowance made by the Crown surveyors.

2. A road allowance, highway, street or lane shown on a registered plan of subdivision. 2001, c. 25, s. 31 (4).

Other exclusions

(5) Section 44 does not apply to a highway laid out or built by any person before January 1, 2003 unless it was assumed for public use by the municipality or it has been established by by-law. 2001, c. 25, s. 31 (5).

Widening highways

(6) If a municipality acquires land for the purpose of widening a highway, the land acquired forms part of the highway to the extent of the designated widening. 2001, c. 25, s. 31 (6).

Unorganized territory

32. Despite section 19, a municipality may by by-law establish a highway in adjoining unorganized territory. 2001, c. 25, s. 32.

33. Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 17.

Highway closing procedures

34. (1) A by-law permanently closing a highway does not take effect until a certified copy of the by-law is registered in the proper land registry office. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 18.

Consent

(2) A by-law permanently closing a highway shall not be passed without the consent of the Government of Canada if the highway,

(a) abuts on land, including land covered by water, owned by the Crown in right of Canada; or

(b) leads to or abuts on a bridge, wharf, dock, quay or other work owned by the Crown in right of Canada. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 18.

Restricting common law right of passage

35. Without limiting sections 9, 10 and 11, a municipality may pass by-laws removing or restricting the common law right of passage by the public over a highway and the common law right of access to the highway by an owner of land abutting a highway. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 18.

36.-39. Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 18.

Toll highways

40. (1) A municipality may,

(a) designate a highway as a toll highway; and

(b) operate and maintain the designated highway as a toll highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 40 (1); 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 19.

Restriction

(2) Despite subsection (1) and section 35, a municipality does not have the power to designate, operate and maintain a highway as a toll highway until a regulation is made under this section that applies to the proposed toll highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 40 (2).

Regulations

(3) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations providing for any matters which, in the opinion of the Lieutenant Governor in Council, are necessary or desirable for the purposes of this section, including,

(a) requiring a municipality to obtain the approval of any person or body before designating, operating or maintaining a highway as a toll highway;

(b) providing for criteria which must be met before a municipality can designate, operate or maintain a highway as a toll highway;

(c) imposing conditions and limitations on the powers of the municipality to designate, operate or maintain a highway as a toll highway;

(d) granting municipalities powers with respect to the operation and maintenance of a toll highway, including powers with respect to the collection and enforcement of tolls imposed for the use of a toll highway;

(e) without limiting clause (d), providing that the provisions of the Capital Investment Plan Act, 1993 and the regulations under that Act which relate to toll highways apply to municipalities with such changes as are prescribed;

(f) establishing process requirements with respect to the designation, operation and maintenance of a highway as a toll highway, including requiring a municipality to provide notice to the Minister or any other person or body of its intention to designate a highway as a toll highway;

(g) providing that the Minister or any other person or body who receives notice under clause (f) may prohibit the municipality from making the designation even though the designation is otherwise authorized under the regulation. 2001, c. 25, s. 40 (3).

Conflicts

(4) In the event of a conflict between a regulation under this section and a provision of any Act or regulation, the regulation under this section prevails. 2001, c. 25, s. 40 (4).

41., 42. Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 20.

Conveyance of closed highway

43. A municipality that permanently closes a highway shall not convey the land forming the highway if it is covered with water without the consent of the Ministry of Natural Resources. 2001, c. 25, s. 43.

Maintenance

44. (1) The municipality that has jurisdiction over a highway or bridge shall keep it in a state of repair that is reasonable in the circumstances, including the character and location of the highway or bridge. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (1).

Liability

(2) A municipality that defaults in complying with subsection (1) is, subject to the Negligence Act, liable for all damages any person sustains because of the default. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (2).

Defence

(3) Despite subsection (2), a municipality is not liable for failing to keep a highway or bridge in a reasonable state of repair if,

(a) it did not know and could not reasonably have been expected to have known about the state of repair of the highway or bridge;

(b) it took reasonable steps to prevent the default from arising; or

(c) at the time the cause of action arose, minimum standards established under subsection (4) applied to the highway or bridge and to the alleged default and those standards have been met. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (3).

Regulations

(4) The Minister of Transportation may make regulations establishing minimum standards of repair for highways and bridges or any class of them. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (4).

General or specific

(5) The minimum standards may be general or specific in their application. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (5).

Adoption by reference

(6) A regulation made under subsection (4) may adopt by reference, in whole or in part, with such changes as the Minister of Transportation considers desirable, any code, standard or guideline, as it reads at the time the regulation is made or as it is amended from time to time, whether before or after the regulation is made. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (6).

(7) Repealed: 2002, c. 24, Sched. B, s. 25.

Untravelled portions of highway

(8) No action shall be brought against a municipality for damages caused by,

(a) the presence, absence or insufficiency of any wall, fence, rail or barrier along or on any highway; or

(b) any construction, obstruction or erection, or any siting or arrangement of any earth, rock, tree or other material or object adjacent to or on any untravelled portion of a highway, whether or not an obstruction is created due to the construction, siting or arrangement. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (8).

Sidewalks

(9) Except in case of gross negligence, a municipality is not liable for a personal injury caused by snow or ice on a sidewalk. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (9).

Notice

(10) No action shall be brought for the recovery of damages under subsection (2) unless, within 10 days after the occurrence of the injury, written notice of the claim and of the injury complained of has been served upon or sent by registered mail to,

(a) the clerk of the municipality; or

(b) if the claim is against two or more municipalities jointly responsible for the repair of the highway or bridge, the clerk of each of the municipalities. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (10).

Exception

(11) Failure to give notice is not a bar to the action in the case of the death of the injured person as a result of the injury. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (11).

Same

(12) Failure to give notice or insufficiency of the notice is not a bar to the action if a judge finds that there is reasonable excuse for the want or the insufficiency of the notice and that the municipality is not prejudiced in its defence. 2002, c. 24, Sched. B, s. 42.

(13) Repealed: 2002, c. 24, Sched. B, s. 42.

No responsibility for acts of others

(14) Nothing in this section imposes any obligation or liability on a municipality for an act or omission of a person acting under a power conferred by law over which the municipality had no control unless,

(a) the municipality participated in the act or omission; or

(b) the power under which the person acted was a by-law, resolution or licence of the municipality. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (14).

No liability

(15) A municipality is not liable for damages under this section unless the person claiming the damages has suffered a particular loss or damage beyond what is suffered by that person in common with all other persons affected by the lack of repair. 2001, c. 25, s. 44 (15).

No personal liability

45. (1) No proceeding shall be commenced against a member of council or an officer or employee of the municipality for damages based on the default of the municipality in keeping a highway or bridge in a state of repair that is reasonable in light of all of the circumstances, including the character and location of the highway or bridge. 2001, c. 25, s. 45 (1).

Exception, contractors

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a contractor with the municipality, including any officer or employee who is acting as a contractor, whose act or omission caused the damages. 2001, c. 25, s. 45 (2).

Nuisance

46. Subsections 44 (8) to (15) apply to an action brought against a municipality for damages that result from the presence of any nuisance on a highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 46; 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 21.

47. Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 22.

Naming private roads

48. A local municipality may name or change the name of a private road after giving public notice of its intention to pass the by-law. 2001, c. 25, s. 48.

49. Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 22.

Restriction, motor vehicles

50. A municipality does not have power to pass a by-law establishing a system of permits for motor vehicles or trailers, as those terms are defined in the Highway Traffic Act, similar to the system under Part II of that Act. 2001, c. 25, s. 50.

Restriction, farming vehicles

51. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a municipality does not have the power to require that a licence or permit be obtained in respect of a wheeled vehicle used for farming purposes before the vehicle may be used upon any highway of the municipality. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 23.

Limitation

(2) Subsection (1) applies to a vehicle used for farm purposes only when travelling from farm to farm for farm purposes or when travelling to or from places for the maintenance or repair of the vehicle. 2001, c. 25, s. 51 (2).

Jurisdiction, upper-tier municipality

52. (1) An upper-tier municipality may add a lower-tier highway, including a boundary line highway, to its highway system from any of its lower-tier municipalities. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (1).

Boundary line

(2) An upper-tier municipality may add to its highway system such highways forming the boundary line between the upper-tier municipality and an adjoining municipality as are agreed upon between them, in which case the upper-tier municipality and the adjoining municipality have joint jurisdiction over the highways. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (2).

Jurisdiction

(3) If a highway forms part of the upper-tier highway system, the upper-tier municipality has jurisdiction over the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (3).

Removal

(4) An upper-tier municipality may remove a highway, including a boundary line highway, from its system. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (4).

Effect of removal

(5) If a highway is removed from an upper-tier highway system, it is under the jurisdiction of the lower-tier municipality in which the highway is located. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (5).

Joint jurisdiction

(6) If a highway that forms the boundary line between two lower-tier municipalities forming part of the same upper-tier municipality is removed from an upper-tier highway system, section 29 applies in respect of that highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (6).

Same

(7) If a highway that forms the boundary line between an upper-tier municipality and an adjoining municipality is removed from the upper-tier highway system, the lower-tier municipality in which the highway is located and the adjoining municipality have joint jurisdiction over the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 52 (7).

Transfer of jurisdiction

53. If jurisdiction over a highway is transferred from one municipality to another municipality under section 52,

(a) the municipality to which jurisdiction over the highway has been transferred stands in the place of the transferor under any agreement in respect of the highway; and

(b) if jurisdiction over the highway has been transferred from a lower-tier municipality to its upper-tier municipality, the upper-tier municipality shall pay to the lower-tier municipality, before the due date, all amounts becoming due upon any debt of the lower-tier municipality in respect of the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 53.

Jurisdiction re: bridges

54. An upper-tier municipality that had jurisdiction over a bridge on a lower-tier highway on the day this section came into force continues to have jurisdiction over the approaches to it for 30 metres at each end of the bridge or any other distance agreed upon by the upper-tier municipality and the lower-tier municipality. 2001, c. 25, s. 54.

Upper-tier sidewalks

55. (1) An upper-tier municipality is not responsible for the construction and maintenance of sidewalks on its highways and the lower-tier municipality in which the highways are located is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the sidewalks and has jurisdiction over that part of the highway, unless the municipalities agree otherwise. 2001, c. 25, s. 55 (1).

Injury, damages

(2) A lower-tier municipality that is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the sidewalks on upper-tier highways is liable for any injury or damage arising from the construction or presence of the sidewalk to the same extent and subject to the same limitations to which a municipality is liable under section 44 in respect of a sidewalk on its own highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 55 (2).

Improvements on upper-tier highways

(3) A lower-tier municipality may, with the agreement of the upper-tier municipality, construct a sidewalk or other improvement or service on an upper-tier highway and the lower-tier municipality is liable for any injury or damage arising from the construction or presence of the sidewalk, improvement or service. 2001, c. 25, s. 55 (3).

Intersections

56. Where an upper-tier highway intersects a lower-tier highway, the continuation of the upper-tier highway to its full width across the lower-tier highway intersected is an upper-tier highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 56.

57. Repealed: 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 24.

Zoning restrictions

58. (1) An upper-tier municipality has, in respect of land lying within 45 metres from any limit of an upper-tier highway, all the powers conferred on a local municipality under section 34 of the Planning Act for prohibiting the erecting or locating of buildings and other structures within that area. 2001, c. 25, s. 58 (1).

Conflicts

(2) If there is a conflict between a by-law passed by an upper-tier municipality under subsection (1) and a by-law passed by a lower-tier municipality under section 34 of the Planning Act, the by-law of the upper-tier municipality prevails to the extent of the conflict, but in all other respects the by-law passed by the lower-tier municipality remains in effect. 2001, c. 25, s. 58 (2).

Sign restrictions

59. Without limiting sections 9, 10 and 11, an upper-tier municipality may prohibit or regulate the placing or erecting of any sign, notice or advertising device within 400 metres of any limit of an upper-tier highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 59; 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 25.

Entry on land, snow fences

60. Despite section 19, a municipality may, at any reasonable time, enter upon any land within the municipality or within an adjoining municipality and lying along any highway under its jurisdiction, including land owned by Her Majesty in right of Ontario, for the purpose of erecting and maintaining a snow fence. 2001, c. 25, s. 60.

Entry on land, naming highways

61. (1) A municipality may, at any reasonable time, enter upon land lying along a highway to install and maintain a sign setting out the name of a highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 61 (1).

Private roads

(2) If a local municipality has passed a by-law under section 48 to name or change the name of a private road, the municipality may, at any reasonable time, enter upon land lying along the private road to install and maintain a sign setting out the name of the road. 2001, c. 25, s. 61 (2).

Entry on land, tree trimming

62. (1) A municipality may, at any reasonable time, enter upon land lying along any of its highways,

(a) to inspect trees and conduct tests on trees; and

(b) to remove decayed, damaged or dangerous trees or branches of trees if, in the opinion of the municipality, the trees or branches pose a danger to the health or safety of any person using the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 62 (1).

Immediate danger

(2) An employee or agent of the municipality may remove a decayed, damaged or dangerous tree or branch of a tree immediately and without notice to the owner of the land upon which the tree is located if, in the opinion of the employee or agent, the tree or branch poses an immediate danger to the health or safety of any person using the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 62 (2); 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 26.

Application to court

62.1 (1) A municipality may apply to a judge of the Superior Court of Justice for an order requiring the owner of land lying along a highway to remove or alter any vegetation, building or object on the land that may obstruct the vision of pedestrians or drivers of vehicles on the highway, cause the drifting or accumulation of snow or harm the highway if the municipality is unable to enter into an agreement with the owner of the land to alter or remove the vegetation, building or object from the land. 2002, c. 17, Sched. A, s. 10.

Order

(2) Upon application by the municipality under subsection (1), the judge may make an order, subject to the payment of such compensation to the owner or other conditions as the judge may fix,

(a) requiring the owner of the land to remove or alter the vegetation, building or object in respect of which the application is made; or

(b) authorizing the municipality to enter upon the land, upon such notice to the owner as the judge may fix, to remove or alter the vegetation, building or object. 2002, c. 17, Sched. A, s. 10.

Impounding of objects, vehicles on highway

63. (1) If a municipality passes a by-law for prohibiting or regulating the placing, stopping, standing or parking of an object or vehicle on or near a highway, it may provide for the removal and impounding or restraining and immobilizing of any object or vehicle placed, stopped, standing or parked on or near a highway in contravention of the by-law and subsection 170 (15) of the Highway Traffic Act applies with necessary modifications to the by-law. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 27.

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not authorize any action with respect to a motor vehicle on a parking lot on land not owned or occupied by the municipality. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 27.

Entry on land

(3) The municipality may, at any reasonable time, enter upon land near a highway for a purpose described in subsection (1). 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 27.

Sale of impounded object, etc.

(4) Despite subsection (1), if the removed object or vehicle, other than a motor vehicle, is used to sell anything on or near a highway and the object or vehicle is not claimed by the owner within 60 days after its removal, it becomes the property of the municipality and may be sold and the proceeds shall form part of the general funds of the municipality. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 27.

Perishable objects

(5) Despite subsections (1) and (4), any perishable object or refreshment in or on the removed object or vehicle becomes the property of the municipality upon removal and may be destroyed or given to a charitable institution. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 27.

Exception

(6) Subsection (5) does not apply to a perishable object or refreshment that comes into the possession of a police force in the circumstances described in section 132 of the Police Services Act. 2006, c. 32, Sched. A, s. 27.

Territorial district

64. (1) A township in a territorial district, other than a township in The District Municipality of Muskoka, surveyed without road allowances may establish highways, where necessary, on land in which 5 per cent of the land is reserved for highways and the provisions of this Act as to compensation for land taken or injuriously affected by the exercise of the powers conferred by this section do not apply to the establishing of the highways. 2001, c. 25, s. 64 (1).

Definition

(2) In this section,

"township" means a local municipality which had the status of a township on December 31, 2002. 2001, c. 25, s. 64 (2).

Mistakes

65. (1) If, before January 1, 2003, a municipality by mistake opened a highway not wholly upon the original road allowance, the land occupied by the highway shall be deemed to have been expropriated by the municipality and no person on whose land the highway was opened may bring an action in respect of the opening of the highway or to recover possession of the land. 2001, c. 25, s. 65 (1).

Compensation

(2) The person on whose land the highway was opened is entitled to compensation in accordance with the Expropriations Act as if the land were expropriated. 2001, c. 25, s. 65 (2).

Highways not opened on original road allowance

66. (1) If, before January 1, 2003, a highway was opened on land in the place of all or part of an original road allowance and compensation was not paid for the land, the owner of the land appropriated for the highway or the successor in title to the owner is entitled to the following:

1. If that person owns the land abutting on the allowance, the owner is entitled to the soil and freehold of the original road allowance and to a conveyance of the original road allowance.

2. If that person does not own the land abutting on the allowance and if the allowance is sold by the municipality, the owner is entitled to the part of the purchase price that bears the same proportion to the whole purchase price as the value of the part of the land occupied by the highway that belonged to the owner bears to the value of the land occupied by the highway. 2001, c. 25, s. 66 (1).

Multiple owners

(2) If the land abutting on the original road allowance or part of the original road allowance is owned by more than one person, each person is entitled to the soil and freehold of and a conveyance of that part of the allowance abutting their land to the middle line of the allowance. 2001, c. 25, s. 66 (2).

Person in possession

67. (1) If, before January 1, 2003, a person in possession of an original road allowance or a predecessor in title of that person opened a highway in the place of the original road allowance on that persons land without receiving compensation for the land and the person is in possession of all or part of the original road allowance, that person is entitled to the soil and freehold of the allowance or part of it and to a conveyance of the original road allowance or part of it. 2001, c. 25, s. 67 (1).

Multiple persons in possession

(2) If more than one person is in possession of the road allowance, each person is entitled to the soil and freehold of and a conveyance of that part of the allowance abutting their land to the middle line of the allowance. 2001, c. 25, s. 67 (2).

Condition

(3) This section only applies if the highway has been established by by-law of the municipality or otherwise assumed for public use by the municipality and if, in the opinion of the council of the municipality, the original road allowance is not needed by the municipality. 2001, c. 25, s. 67 (3).

Enclosed road allowance

68. (1) If, on the day this Act receives Royal Assent, a person was in possession of part of an original road allowance abutting the persons land and that part was enclosed with a lawful fence, that person shall, as against every person except the municipality, be deemed to have legal possession of that part of the road allowance until a by-law is passed assuming the road allowance for public use or requiring the person to remove the fence. 2001, c. 25, s. 68 (1).

Limitation

(2) Subsection (1) only applies if the part of the original road allowance has not been assumed for public use because another road is being used in its place or if another road parallel or near to it was established in its place. 2001, c. 25, s. 68 (2).

Without Justice there's JUST US
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

admin wrote:IFor a full reference of the OHTA please refer to the forum 'Rules of the Road'.

Wish a couple users would keep this in mind.....tired of threads being jumbled up, lengthened with complete pastings of HTA sections when they are already well laid out on this site as you mentioned! Complete copy/pasting leads to lack of discussion and is very very very very boring.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

I just wore out my mouse wheel........cough.......wheeze....

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

I must say "The Man" is thorough :)

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

BelSlySTi wrote:I must say "The Man" is thorough :)

Now is it written wrong? or is it confusing and not clear is the question? I think you are refering to the Law being"The Man" when the way it looks is that the Law is "The Men".... sheesh....think a politician, law writer came up with that one.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply

Return to “Failing to obey signs”