Hta 182(2) @ Bay & Edward

Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Asyrol

Hta 182(2) @ Bay & Edward

Unread post by Asyrol »

Let me tell you my sob story folks... On June 2nd I was pulled over for an HTA 144( 18 ) where I was behind a large cube truck and ran a yellow ( http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic2352.html ). On my way to file my NIA, I got pulled over and issues a 182(2) for making an illegal left hand turn!

Let me preface this by saying, I'm a white bread suburbanite from Mississauga and the last time I drove downtown was wall over a year ago. I was driving North on Bay street, and noticed a BMW stopped to make a left hand turn on to Edward (the street I needed to be on). I followed him making the left hand turn and there was a cop there waiting for us - he pulled us both over, then proceeded to let the BMW off with a warning and issued me a ticket!

I took a look at Google streetview and there is indeed a sign on the North West corner of the intersection, but it was like Where's Waldo trying to see it, especially at the time when I was just trying to figure out where I was and not get run over. It's not in the usual sort of place you'd look for signs pertaining to a turn you're about to make.

To make things worse, the cop asked me if I was following the BMW, except he made it sound as if he was asking if I was *with* the BMW, so I answered no... either way, it was completely stupid and I am feeling so in over my head now it's not funny.

Long story short, I want to hire someone to take care of these two tickets for me now - there's not way I can negotiate my way through these, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the general industry of traffic ticket paralegals. Can anyone recommend a good, reputable company/person?

Biron

Posting Awards

Unread post by Biron »

Hey Asyrol

Asyrol wrote:I took a look at Google streetview and there is indeed a sign on the North West corner of the intersection, but it was like Where's Waldo trying to see it, especially at the time when I was just trying to figure out where I was and not get run over. It's not in the usual sort of place you'd look for signs pertaining to a turn you're about to make.

I just googled -street view- the intersection. You are so right; just like Where's Waldo.

I would fight this ticket to the end and if I lose I would appeal the conviction. But that's just me.

With a friend's help take a series of pictures from a driver's point of view while approaching the intersection. Try using a wide angle lens.

The sign must to be visible -individually and contextually- to be legally binding, which for what I saw, this one is not.

Start the procedure -NIA- get a trial date and ask for disclosure. Request a copy of the by-law that determines the sign to be there, including the dimensions and 'exact' position.

Asyrol wrote:Long story short, I want to hire someone to take care of these two tickets for me now - there's not way I can negotiate my way through these, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the general industry of traffic ticket paralegals. Can anyone recommend a good, reputable company/person?

Actually this ticket may be negotiated by amending it to disobey sign or even, if you press the point, change it to disobey by-law, which does not carry any points.

Paralegals are now licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada and liable up to $1,000,000 on errors and omissions -> negligence. Still, I recommend caution when hiring one.

Cheers,

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Asyrol wrote:I took a look at Google streetview and there is indeed a sign on the North West corner of the intersection, but it was like Where's Waldo trying to see it, especially at the time when I was just trying to figure out where I was and not get run over. It's not in the usual sort of place you'd look for signs pertaining to a turn you're about to make.

Just used the google streetview and saw another sign on the NE corner....one on each side of the road for NB traffic on Bay.

Also sign on the SW and SE corner for SB traffic on Bay.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca

Return to “Failing to obey signs”