"disobey Sign"

Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
BillP

"disobey Sign"

Unread post by BillP »

Hey all, just wondering what I can do to avoid paying this ticket... The total fee is $110 and basically waht happened was on my way to school there are two no left turn signs and the a stopsign to turn left at to go to school, which is nearly always packed with 6-10 cars at the 3 way intersection. So I turned left at the second sign. Police O was nice and admitted himself that he didn't understand why the signs were there but him and a partner were told to ticket people on both streets. While I was there he had one person pulled over and another 2 followed me. Anyone have any Idea what I can do if I plan on challenging this? If I do get a court date and the police show's what is my best option of defence? thanks for any help and ask for any further clarification/details.

Bookm

Unread post by Bookm »

I'm not real clear on the setting. You drive along and come to the first street with "no left" sign. You proceed along to the second street, also a "no left". If you drove on to the third street, there's a stop sign allowing for a left turn, but is very busy. So you turned at the second street despite the "no left" sign?

no-turn signs are often erected to control traffic volume on residential streets. If I "guessed" your scenario with the description above, I don't see how you can beat it, although I believe a sign like this needs to be enforced by a City By-Law. You could take the chance that the Crown won't have the official By-Law at trial, and motion for dismissal on those grounds. The Crown may motion for a continuance to get the necessary papers. Object fiercely because you have already lost time from school, and you don't want to mis more... blah, blah, blah.

I'm not real sure bout this, so you might want to get further input.

BillP

Unread post by BillP »

Thanks... Yes I did turn despite the sign... I plan on calling the city about it as it congests the one road to the school... Thanks for the idea

BillP

Unread post by BillP »

Ohh and as well if a street name on the ticket is illegible could that get it thrown out? I am unable to read the street name where I turned.

liveontheedge

Unread post by liveontheedge »

i have no knowlege of the law but i have experience for 2 of those tickets to share with you.

I showed up in court on both cases, cops were there but charges are withdrawn. Need more details, send me your email address.