Disobey Sign Hta 182(2) U Turn

Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Jackson5

Disobey Sign Hta 182(2) U Turn

Unread post by Jackson5 »

Hello Everyone,

I've got a ticket for making a U Turn on Blue Jay Way in down town Toronto. I was driving south and went straight on the 4 way stop intersection with Navy Wharf Ct. Once I passed the intersection I went about 2 thirds and made a U turn. There is a no U turn sign in the intersection on the lane I was on but I though it was to stop people from making a u turns in the intersection.

The overall section of the Blue Jay Way between Navy Wharf CR and Spadina Ave is about 110 m according to google map so I must have been about 60-70 m after the sign... I'm just wondering what is the distance that a no u turn sign applies for and what would you guys recommend as the best approach to fight this? I went and got some pictures today but they were too big to attach here...

Cheers

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

That's a tough one. I generally assumed that a no U-turn applied to the intersection where it was posted and that the general rules of U-turns applied elsewhere.

"U-turns prohibited

143. No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the drivers view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143."

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Jackson5

Unread post by Jackson5 »

That's what I assumed as well.... I wasn't expecting it to apply about 80 m after the sign... I assume I will just fight it with this at the early resolution and if that doesn't go well I will take them to court...

argyll wrote:That's a tough one. I generally assumed that a no U-turn applied to the intersection where it was posted and that the general rules of U-turns applied elsewhere.

"U-turns prohibited

143. No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the drivers view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143."