Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
peizilla

Red Light - Fail To Stop

by: peizilla on

Hi, I'm new to this site, everyone seem really helpful to new members here. So here goes nothing.

I'm a G2 driver, aged around 20ish, male.

I got a ticket at around noon at intersection Markham road and Progress ave while I was driving my mother to work. I was going southbound on Markham road, I was going at about 70-75, I saw the approaching light and it was turning yellow and I decided to run for it. At the time I saw a police car on the on coming side left turning so I immediately slammed on my brakes, when I finally stopped, I was in past the crosswalk and almost at the middle of the intersection. I was about to reverse back and then the police inside the car waving his hand for me to go, so I did and he did a U-turn and followed me telling me to stop on the right side.

The conversation I had with the police officer was minimal as I'm not really a talkative person. He came by and told me this was recorded etc. and asked for my id/registration/insurance, to which i nodded and said 'yes' to. After getting everything written down he handed me everything back except my driver's licences, which he took to the car and after about 10 minutes he came back and handed me a ticket. He told me that I was getting a 'break' and that I was doing wreck less driving and how it would have been a accident if i had gone through. I nodded/yes to all this. He then told me that I was given a red light - failed to stop, and told me I have the option of going to court, just follow instruction on the back and told me to drive safe.

I'm really worried about this, as this is my very first ticket, and I have no idea what to do. Please can anyone give me some ideas as to what to do would be greatly appreciated!!

PS: the ticket is payable $325 and on the ticket he wrote my plate number wrong. instead of a M he wrote a n (literally).

PPS: it's suppose to be ZM but he wrote zn http://i.imgur.com/hnbwm4P.jpg

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

peizilla wrote:PS: the ticket is payable $325 and on the ticket he wrote my plate number wrong. instead of a M he wrote a n (literally).

PPS: it's suppose to be ZM but he wrote zn http://i.imgur.com/hnbwm4P.jpg

It won't matter. Either way, looks like a fast written M anyways.

What you do with your ticket is up to you. Luckily, the charge carries 3 demerit points. Had it been 4, your license would have been suspended as you're still a G2 driver. Another ticket like this one could see your license suspended if you don't move up a license class in time.

You can either:

1) Pay your ticket. Obviously the easiest method.

2) Go for a meeting. This isn't where you beg or plead your innocence. They will possibly offer you another charge in the next lower bracket. You'll still be guilty, but if points are an issue, it's something to consider.

3) Go to trial. It's more time consuming than the others, but it'll leave all your options open. Do not pick this option because "My friend Jerry says cops never show up to trial". It's not a common occurrence and you'll need to fully prepare yourself.

peizilla

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have a problem with paying the fee, what I'm really concern about is the points and the ticket on my driving history. So I'm probably going to try the method that's either going to lower my points or lower the charge.

Let's say I were to choose option 2 that you've listed. What do I do/talk about with the said officer?

Thanks.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

peizilla wrote:Let's say I were to choose option 2 that you've listed. What do I do/talk about with the said officer?

You'll show up to the courthouse with an appointment and they'll just offer you a deal for your guilt. They aren't interested in any particulars. It isn't a mini trial or anything. They'll try to find something suitable to lower it down to that's still in the realm of what you were charged with to begin with.

The same thing can be accomplished by requesting a trial. Depending on the location, you'll share the same trial time and date with 30 other people. You know how many end up going to trial? One if you're lucky. They just line everyone up and offer them deals to go away, and almost everyone takes it. Lots of people choose the trial option because if you're willing to put the time and effort into preparing for a trial, you still have the option to take a deal if your outcome looks bleak. The downside is you'll need to dedicate some time and at least one work day.

peizilla

I got some opinion from my mother. She told me that the car that was in front of the police car was left turning and jerked a little. So she told me to use that as a defense, saying that I ran a yellow light, and only slammed on my brakes because the car looked like it was about to turn, so I was forced to slam on my brakes to stop. Which is why i stopped in the middle of the intersection.

Would that argument work?

peizilla

but it wasn't so much that I stopped in the middle of the road. It's more like i slammed on the brakes because I saw the guy was about to turn and I couldn't stop behind the 'line', but I still managed to stopped so that there was enough space if the guy had turned. Wouldn't that count as a safe maneuver?

Post a Reply