Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
YearOfTiger

Got A Ticket 144 (18) For Failing To Stop At Red Light

by: YearOfTiger on

I received a ticket for failing to stop at red light. I was actually very surprised, since I saw him following me for 1 or 2 stop lights and at least one intersection before he turned his lights on to stop me. And he did not tell me which light I was supposed to have run. And when I looked at the ticket after, it was not written which intersection it happened, only the name of the street and city. This street is very long and I have really no idea where it was supposed to have happened. How am I supposed to fight and argue this in court ?

It was dark snow on the road and very busy on the street, 4 lanes all the way along this road. I honestly think this very young cop made a mistake.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

The ticket itself isn't supposed to be entirely what you'd base your defence on. In this case, it would be the officer's notes, which you can get through disclosure after you get a trial date. The notes would tell you where you allegedly ran the red light, and what the officer saw. You can then make a decision as to whether or not you want to plead guilty and ask for a reduced fine, attempt a plea bargain or try to fight it at trial.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
YearOfTiger

by: YearOfTiger on

I have met with the prosecutor today regarding a red light failure to stop ticket. He is not the least interested in offering any deal. Said the case is straight forward.

The fact is. In the officer's note, he was at the left turn lane of a T section, waiting to turn north, he is from a small street, 3 lanes incl/ the left turn lane. It was a busy street he was facing, and I supposedly ran the light going north at 70 km an hour. In his notes he wrote that there were a few cars, 5 vehicles going through the amber and I was the last car and light had turned red.

It took him 1 km drive to find my car and stop me. I suspect that he got the wrong car. Because if he was waiting to turn left and I was the last car going through the light he should have been right behind me. Plus that being a very busy street and already dark at night and a busy hour. There is almost certainly car waiting at the street to turn left into his street he was waiting at. The left turn lane is more than 150m.

What can be my defence, I chose to go to trial.

By the way, I have a clean driving record

, my 11 year old daughter was in the car with me and I had not have a ticket for 25 years, until 2.5 years ago, that I got a minor speeding ticket.

Thanks a lot if you could give any advice.

Post a Reply