Can I Appeal After I Was Found Guilty And Paid The Fine?

Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
EMARCELLI

Can I Appeal After I Was Found Guilty And Paid The Fine?

Unread post by EMARCELLI »

I was found guilty for failing to stop at a newly erected stop sign. I paid the fine and after rechecking the officer's note in the disclosure

I received, he wrote I was going westbound by mistake, I was going eastbound when he ticketed me.

Also the bottom of the stop sign is 1.2 meters from the road level and not 1.5 meters as per regulation 615.

Do I have a chance to an appeal?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

EMARCELLI wrote:

Do I have a chance to an appeal?

I don't believe so. Courts will reopen matters if you were never sent notice of trial or were unable to make make it to Court for a legitimate reason (i.e. hospitalized with an illness).

Here's the section from the Provincial Offences Act that deals with reopening matters:

Reopening

Application to strike out conviction

11. (1) A defendant who was convicted without a hearing may, within 15 days of becoming aware of the conviction, apply to a justice to strike out the conviction. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (16).

Striking out the conviction

(2) Upon application under subsection (1), a justice shall strike out a conviction if satisfied by affidavit of the defendant that, through no fault of the defendant, the defendant was unable to appear for a hearing or for a meeting under section 5.1 or the defendant did not receive delivery of a notice or document relating to the offence. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (16).

In terms of an appeal, I really don't think noting a possible defence after the fact would be sufficient, since all that information was available to you prior to your decision being made.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

I'm going to agree with what was already said.

Your appeal will not be "trial 2.0". It's not an attempt at proving why the was officer wrong when he issued you a ticket. An appeal is your chance to prove that for some reason, you weren't given a fair shot at a trial. There's many reasons for this, but change of heart isn't one of them. It doesn't sound like at any time you were hindered in your efforts to receive the right to a fair trial.

You're certainly have a right to file an appeal, but it doesn't mean they'll grant you another chance.