Fighting The Ticket On My Own?

Limitless

Fighting The Ticket On My Own?

Unread post by Limitless »

I just recieved my first ticket the other day. I was travelling at a safe, controlled speed that was suitable to road conditions and traffic. The officer pulled me over, saying I was doing 80 km in a posted 50 zone. There is no way I could have safely made the bend I had just come out of if I had been doing 80. I was polite and did not argue with the officer, just accepted the ticket and headed home. When I handed in the ticket this morning though, I choose option three to plead not guilty.

I started doing some reading online last night. I was quite shocked to learn that since I only have my G2, the 4 dermit points would lead to a 30 suspension if I'm convicted, not to mention how much my insurance would go up. I'm a student and currently don't have a job so I'm looking at fighting the ticket myself as the quotes I've gotten from a few companies are quite high. I know it is very unlikely that it will be withdrawn, but what are the chances I will get a plea bargain to have it changed to a lesser offense, ideally 0-15 over, if I go by myself? The officer didn't reduce it at all at the scene.

Also, I read somewhere that I could meet with the officer and try to get him to reduce it before going to trial? Is this even possible/allowed?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Limitless wrote: I know it is very unlikely that it will be withdrawn, but what are the chances I will get a plea bargain to have it changed to a lesser offense, ideally 0-15 over, if I go by myself?
Zero over? Not likely. :D

But it's almost guaranteed they will offer you a plea to a reduced speed. By how much they'll reduce it really depends on the jurisdiction and prosecutor you deal with. I'm sure they'd at least knock it down to 20 over, not sure about 15.

Limitless wrote:Also, I read somewhere that I could meet with the officer and try to get him to reduce it before going to trial? Is this even possible/allowed?
The officer can't actually reduce it after he's given you the ticket. The only thing he could do is speak with the prosecutor and recommend a reduction. The officer won't actually be there for a first attendance meeting though, only on the day of your trial.

Limitless wrote:I was travelling at a safe, controlled speed that was suitable to road conditions and traffic.
Not saying this isn't true, but just be aware speeding is an absolute liability offence. Basically you either were speeding or you weren't, the fact that the speed may be safe doesn't come into play.