Kcontario

Caught Gojng 110km In 80 Zone

by: Kcontario on

So this Friday I was stopped by a local officer for going 110 in a 80zone. He also claims I was going 105 in a 50zone,which we literally passed when he stopped me as I was braking. It has been 3 days already and I can't seem to locate my ticket on their Internet site "pay ticket". Is there a way to determine if he has filed for certificate of offence to the courts? It has been 3 days I presume (sat-monday) or would Friday, the day of count also? I'm with td monex, anyone know give or take what the avg increase Is comparing 20-29km Vs 30-40km over?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

The officer has 7 days to file the ticket with the clerk, so it can take a couple weeks before it shows up on the pay ticket site.

I would suggest you choose the NOT GUILTY with a TRIAL with the officer present.

Once you get a trial date, then request disclosure.

Once you get disclosure, then you can decide whether to pay it or fight it.

There is no downside to this option.

You have the right to a fair trial and you have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. You should exercise those rights.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Kcontario wrote:I'm with td monex, anyone know give or take what the avg increase Is comparing 20-29km Vs 30-40km over?

Most insurance providers treat a speeding ticket as a minor offence unless you're going more then 50 km/hr over the limit. So the insurance impact would be no different between a 20 over conviction and a 40 over conviction.

Always best to check with your provider as specific policies may vary, but TD Meloche Monnex's FAQ page would seem to indicate they go by the above guidelines.

Q: What exactly is the difference between a minor and a major ticket?

A: Minor tickets or minor convictions include things like speeding, disobeying a traffic signal, failing to yield to a vehicle or pedestrian or improper lane changes. Any tickets that you've received whether you've lost "points" or not are included. The better your driving record, the lower your premium. Major tickets include failure to report an accident, improper passing of school bus and speeding in excess of 50 kph over limit.

Link: http://www.group.tdinsurance.com/en/hel ... dFaq=11297

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

TD rate any speeds UNDER 50kms as a minor,

in fact my one which was 29over was a minor, i changed my car from a 2002 (3k worth of coupe american POS) to 2012 (2.8 38 grands worth of convertible German)

with only this ticket my insurance went up by 30 bucks a month, hope that helps

so I don't think the effect of a single minor speed ticket was substantial at all if any effect

Kcontario wrote:Do you guys know, beyond just asking for lower speed/penalty, is there anything else I can bargain with to make it more likely? Example, community hour, course I can take etc
Last edited by bobajob on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bobajob

Posting Awards

you could ask doesnt hurt, but I don't think that exists here (in the UK there is) your usually bargaining for a lesser offense, smaller fine less points (not that that makes a difference)

Kcontario wrote:Do you guys know, beyond just asking for lower speed/penalty, is there anything else I can bargain with to make it more likely? Example, community hour, course I can take etc
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
Nobis

by: Nobis on

i would definitely take it the option of notice of intention to appear and request disclosure.

look at the officers notes, figure out how he came to the conclusion you were speeding and then try and disect the notes. see if there is any flaws.

u never know, u might be able to complete have this ticket dropped. and save ur self $1,080 a year like @jsherk said

bobajob

Posting Awards

but I went from a 2002 POS to a 2012 German luxury car

I would expect a price increase for that alone

I really dont think they factored in the ticket

especially if you have multi-car and home insurance all in, I doubt they want you to leave/search for a new qoute..

jsherk wrote:@bobajob - $30 per month x 12 months = $360 x 3 years = $1,080 + speeding ticket fine is what it cost you.
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
Post a Reply