A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
new2ohta

Toronto - Ticket For 20 Over On Hwy 427

by: new2ohta on

hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could shed a little light for me. To my obsolute shock, today I was minding my own business just following traffic up the 427 and was pulled over by a very very grumpy OPP officer (at approx 2pm). I was speeding, but only with the flow of traffic. I was not weaving, using a cell phone or looking around me. I didn't know what I did, but pulled over as I am suppost to. I was right next to a barrier and noticed that the officer wasn't coming to my window, but rather the passenger side. He wouldn't have any room to walk up on the passenger side, so I moved up a little and out to make room for him.

He accused me of doing 120km/h ... no questions except for my license, ownership and insurance and off he went back to his car to write a ticket. Came back to the car and handed it to me and said that I have 3 options on the back and walked away. I'm thinking ... ??????

I am married (10 yrs), have kids and when I travel I normally do not speed unless its in this type of place where traffic is travelling faster. I mean, we're talking about 15-20 over on a highway .. !? I do not know of anyone receiving a ticket for this speed on a highway.

I intend to fight this, but need some guidance if possible. I will not say I wasn't going 120, I was. I was following traffic like I do everyday.

I thought that when on a highway and going with traffic (120km) that you wouldn't get a ticket. Is this normal behavior? Do I have any chance of beating this?

thank you in advance for your feedback!!

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

You got stopped for 20 over on the 427?! :? :shock: :shock: :shock:

new2ohta wrote:I thought that when on a highway and going with traffic (120km) that you wouldn't get a ticket. Is this normal behavior?

Not in the GTA. Toronto Police Traffic Services might stop at around 20 over, but I haven't seen Odot stop people until they're 125+ or more in the Toronto area. BUT... that won't help you beat this charge... and... neither will this:

new2ohta wrote:I am married (10 yrs), have kids and when I travel I normally do not speed unless its in this type of place where traffic is travelling faster.

The only thing you can do is try to prove that you weren't speeding, hope for a technicality/no show, or plea-bargain it down. Your best bet at this point is to file for a trial, and then, once you have a trial date, request disclosure to see what the evidence is against you. You can then figure out what you want to do. You seem to indicate that you have no traffic tickets on record... so that would at least help you if you're trying to plea-bargain to a lesser offence.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply