A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Pepsi

Re: 66 In A Permanently-posted 40 Kph Zone/csz

by: Pepsi on

The only trial I've seen was a disaster for the defendant but she had completely no clue what she was doing and instead of cross examining the officer she kept on repeating she wasn't going 'that fast'. It was a short trial. I was prepared but the officer didn't show so I didn't have a chance to test my defence strategy. Hopefully if you decide to go to trial you will be prepared. Ticketcombat has a mention of community safety zone here http://www.ticketcombat.com/step3/findact.php and mentions municipal by-laws. Is it possible the rsz is mentioned there? Also, maybe you can find something here http://canlii.ca/en/on/laws/stat/rso-19 ... -c-h8.html . Just scroll down to Community safety zones.

rayinbarrie

by: rayinbarrie on

Thanks Pepsi,

Seems your colleague at TicketCombat was right about nothing to lose and everything to gain by requesting a trial, regardless of one's final intentions. I checked option 3 but, instead of receiving a trial date, got a form letter from the court stating that the ticket was being dismissed because the police did not file in-time!

The last sentence however was somewhat of a kill-joy: "The officer has the option to relay this charge". What exactly does this mean and can it affect me? Thanks again to you & other helpful posters for the insight & guidance.

Cheers

rayinbarrie

Pepsi

rayinbarrie, I don't know what the relay note means but my guess would be that the officer might go back to the court/judge and request that the ticket not be dismissed. Ticketcombat says ' A police officer has seven days to file all the traffic tickets he wrote.' Maybe the officer was sick or had some other issue that prevented him from filing on time. Imho. unless the officer really has it in for you he'll just let it go. So, cautiously optimistic congrats to you. Maybe some other members will be able to clarify it for you.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

While the cop has to submit a regular ticket issued under part 1 of the Provincial Offences Act within 7 days, he has up to 6 months from the date of the offence to serve you with a summons issued under part 3 of the Provincial Offences Act. So theoretically you still could be served with a summons, however in practice that seems like a lot of effort for a minor speeding ticket so I think he probably won't bother.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The wording on that link is a little confusing. You can actually proceed by way of Part III summons for any offence. Common reasons why that I can think of:

1) Too much time has passed to serve regular ticket.

2) A mix of minor and more serious offences (i.e. 15 over and no insurance). In such a case all offences should be on Part IIIs so theyre dealt with together.

3) A more serious punishment is being sought then the typical set fine.

Pepsi

So, part 3 would be issued immediately for serious offences but can be issued later for a ticket that was originally issued under part 1 or 2? in other words, i could be summoned to court for speeding 5km if the officer failed to file the ticket within 7 days?

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

Technically I believe a Part 3 summons could be issued for any offence under the Provincial Offences Act, even minor stuff. However Part 1 tickets are preferred for most minor offences because if officers issued Part 3 summonses for everything the courts would not be able to handle the backlog.

Post a Reply