A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Tjnons

19 Over But Reduced To 10 In Community Safety Zone...

by: Tjnons on

Hi, I got a speeding ticked in community Safety zone near school. I am very positive I was going between 40-45 but officer said I was doing 59 and gave me a break and write a ticket as "speeding 50 km/hr in 40km/hr zone community safety zone - Reduced". My questions are

1. I hope it is 0 demerit points - correct ? Officer didn't mention demerit points on the ticket.

2. How will insurance consider it, minor infraction or major ? I read at few places that 0-15 km over is considered as minor infractions but will extra remarks of officer "community safety zone," make a difference? Would these remarks show to insurance folks or does it only show speeding 10 over when insurance pulls the data ?

3. Someone told me in school zone if ticket is for "improper passing" or ticket is related to school bus, they are considered as major but speeding is community safety zone or school zone is treated with same rules as any other speeding ticket and zone doesn't make any difference for insurance perspective, is it correct? I know tickets fines are double, but my question is more for insurance premium...

4. What are my chances of fighting it and getting it cancelled ?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) There are no demerit points for speeding until you're going 16+ km/hr over the limit.

2) It depends on your provider. Most likely it would be considered a minor offence.

3) Failing to stop for a school would likely be a major offence, but you were charged with speeding. Again, you'd have to check with your provider to see if they treat community safety zones any differently. Most likely not.

4) It depends on too many factors to give you a percentage. If the officer made good notes and properly measured your speed, the charge would be hard to beat. You'd ultimately have to request disclosure and review the evidence that the officer has.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

What exactly was your set fine and total payable?

http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... re_eng.pdf

This may not applicable to all insurance companies but on pg 12 the IBC brochure lists 'speeding in a school or playground zone' as a major offence.

Ultimately if you choose to plea-bargain with the prosecutor, you can request to have the CSZ removed.

Tjnons

by: Tjnons on

Thanks for your replies....

Fine is $50 and with fees and surcharges total payable is $65.

On my ticket officer wrote " community safety zone" but on Brampton city website, my ticket location is not mentioned in community zones. Neither there is any sign on the street. But it is definitely a school zone.

Is this considered as an error on ticket?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

There needs to be actual signage on the street identifying it as a community safety zone. There should be one sign identifying where the community safety zone starts and another identifying where it ends. Don't just rely on the City's website, double check and make sure there's no signage on the actual street.

If it's NOT a community safety zone, that unfortunately doesn't just nullify the ticket. You'd need to address the fact that you were charged incorrectly at trial. The problem is that the Crown can also amend the ticket at trial if they realize the error.

Post a Reply