A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
bianka16

Nova Scotian Speeding Ticket For 25 Over On A Highway

by: bianka16 on

Hi OTA Forum Members,

I received a speeding ticket for going 25 km/hour over on a highway in Nova Scotia but I am an Ontario license holder and resident.

I've done a bit of research and have found out that Nova Scotia's system works quite differently from Ontario's. Here's how they work:

$227.41 fine and 2 points if you are 1-15 km/hour over the limit;

$284.91 fine and 3 points if you are 16-30 km/hour over the limit; and

$399.91 fine and 4 points if you are 31 km/hour or more over the limit.

PLUS a seven day license suspension for each of the above three charges.

In Ontario as you probably know it's the following system:

0 to 15 kilometres per hour - no loss of points

16 to 29 kilometres per hour - 3 demerit points

30 to 49 kilometres per hour - 4 demerit points

And no license suspension under 4 demerit points.

My question is, is there a reciprocal agreement between Ontario and Nova Scotia about speeding tickets? If so, what is it called and what would the implications be for my case? And depending on that information, is it worth hiring a lawyer to reduce my charge to 15 over in order to avoid the demerit points in Ontario?

If anyone knows anything about this or has had a similar experience, please post a reply. Any help is greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

B.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

All Provinces have reciprocal agreements with one another. Points are applied based on what the offence would carry in your home Province, so in your case it would be 3 points. To the best of my knowledge the 7 day suspension does NOT get applied to out of Province licenses. I also think you're incorrect in stating it applies to all speeding convictions in Nova Scotia. I believe it only applies to convictions for 16+ over.

Post a Reply